Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Hanoi to Hue

• annie101

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2012

Hi. We're a family of 3 spending 12 days in Vietnam and Cambodia in December, which I now realise is nowhere near enough! We were planning to take overnight train from Hanoi to Hue and spend 3 nights there before flying from Da Nang to Siem Reap. It seems that the most spectacular scenery on the train journey is between Hue and Da Nang though, so i'm now wondering if we'd be better to fly Hanoi to Hue, and then take train Hue to Da Nang the day we leave (it's a late afternoon flight). Any advice that would allow to see the most of the countryside while we're there (given we have a preference for train over bus)? Thanks in advance.

#1 Posted: 22/9/2012 - 19:28

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Yes, it's an interesting view, but it would be stretching it to say it's spectacular.

Hai Van Pass pictures on the blog:

#2 Posted: 22/9/2012 - 22:00

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Given your limited time, I'd suggest flying. Also, if I read your post right, you will be spending time in Hanoi and Hue only, and then going straight to Danang airport to fly elsewhere...? From that, I assume that you will miss out on Hoi An .

If it were me, I'd spend the time in Hoi An rather than Hue. Hue was nice enough, albeit cold and drizzly when I was there in early Dec - but I had a whole month in Vietnam. Skip Hue and fly Hanoi to Danang, then make your way to Hoi An (about 1/2 hour away). Lots to do in Hoi An itself, but there's also a nice beach nearby, it's a great area for cycling, and you can do day trips up towards Danang (Marble Mountain, China Beach, etc).

#3 Posted: 22/9/2012 - 23:04

• annie101

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2012

Thanks very much for this. Sounds like we might be better to consider flying, in which case we'd have time for 2-3 nights each in Hue and Hoi An. Thanks again.

#4 Posted: 23/9/2012 - 02:07

• annie101

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2012

Thanks so much for this. I've taken everyone's advice and just booked flights from Hanoi to Hue . This will give us an extra night, so we can have 3 nights in Hue and one in Hoi An . We arrive late the first night and then plan to spend the first day looking around Hue and the second full day visiting the DMZ and Vinh Moc tunnels (my husband's interest). The following day we'll try to hire a car and driver to go to Hoi An with a stop at Hai Van pass, giving us part of that day and the following morning in Hoi An. Though this will be fairly rushed, I'm hoping it will give us a bit of an overview - so we can return to Central Vietnam and know exactrly where to visit next time! Thanks again for all your help. Annie

#5 Posted: 1/10/2012 - 22:01

• Lila_Kue

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2012

Good luck to your trip!

#6 Posted: 16/10/2012 - 05:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.