Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Sapa trek question

• bascanvas

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2011

Hi everybody'

This is my first post here but i've been looking around here a long time and found a lot of usefull info for our upcoming 6 month trip to SE Asia.

Now i have one question about Sapa, we love to trek into the mountains but i can't find any usefull info about organizing a multi day trek while in Sapa. is this easy to arrange on the spot or is it better to arrange this before hand in Hanoi.

Thank you for your time and keep up the good work.

#1 Posted: 26/9/2012 - 12:02

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Depends on if you have time in Sapa to arrange it. It would certainly be possible, and also much cheaper, to do everything on the spot. I would go mid-week because weekends tend to get a little crowded - you'll probably get better prices mid-week. I would search for a small travel agent in Sapa - I remember seeing one posting on the tripadvisor forum this week. The big agencies in Hanoi can be on the expensive side.

#2 Posted: 26/9/2012 - 12:32

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

I agree with daawgon - weekends can get extremely busy (it's popular with Vietnamese - and expats - as well as foreign tourists now) and if you book in Hanoi you're going to pay more. The only other reason (apart from going at the weekend) to consider booking in advance is if you want to get straight off the train and set off on a tour that day. In theory you could sort it out when you got there but it would offer peace of mind - and somewhere to leave your bags - if you booked in advance. Check out what your hotel offers in terms of tours.

#3 Posted: 26/9/2012 - 20:32

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

The answer to your questions are here: http://startrekspace.blogspot.ca/2011/04/star-trek-questions-and-answers.html - oh sorry wait, I just noticed you wrote Sapa... go here then... http://www.sapaadventure.com/faq.html

#4 Posted: 26/9/2012 - 22:54

• Anne_Vu

Joined Travelfish
    8th October, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

You should know if you want to have Sapa group tours or private tours. Then you search information about package tours in Vietnam to find out the most suitable one then take it ;). I think there are so many website that allows to book online and you should arange it before landing in Hanoi. Good luck to your trip.

#5 Posted: 12/10/2012 - 22:48

• Lila_Kue

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2012

i think you should book beforehand in Hanoi. Sapa is wonderful and it has awesome view from the mountain. It's quite easy to arrange the spot if you book a tours with vietnam tour booking since there are so many travel agencies. Check them then have your choice. Have a nice trip..

#6 Posted: 17/10/2012 - 03:45

• enigmatic

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2011
    Total reviews: 11

The tours offered in Hanoi can actually be pretty good value for money for what you get. That said, there should be no problem booking in Sapa, and in all honesty the major routes should be pretty easy to walk without a guide (you'll have souvenir vendors walking with you literally all day unless you're exceptionally rude to them) and the overnight "homestays" are easy to find

#7 Posted: 21/10/2012 - 23:21

• leopang

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2012

Pretty easy to DIY for the Sapa trekking.

Suggest to contact a hotel at Sapa and most of then will do all the needy for you
    a)train ticket from Hanoi to Lao Cai then transfer from trainl
    b)All trekking and local guide can be arrange upon arrival at Sapa itself
    This hotel is reliable and give good services
    http://www.catcathotel.com/

goto this link for DIY at Sapa
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293924-i8595-k2658268-Hanoi_to_Sapa_DIY-Hanoi.html#16750038

#8 Posted: 7/1/2013 - 07:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Sapa trek with Vega or Sapa Pathfinder , reviews? ... By muggel on 10 May 2009 9 8236 7 Sep 2009
Sapa trek August ... By Scully on 29 Mar 2013 0 1315 29 Mar 2013
Hilltribe Trek: Mae Hong Son, Luang Prabang, or Sapa? ... By susan32 on 26 Feb 2008 0 4272 26 Feb 2008