Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

cost of visa

• Joanna_S

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2012

Hi,
    I currently applied for a visa to Vietnam. I admit, I didn't read the information on the website correctly and thinking that the prices given there were for a visa (they were actually for a postage) sent a cheque for £12. To my surprise the embassy called me saying that the price is £44 (!)
    I looked on the net again and it in fact says that you need to contact them before applying to get a current fee. Also, no website has any specific information about the cost.
    How did you apply for a visa and did it cost you that much??
    Thanks
    Jo

#1 Posted: 2/10/2012 - 07:25

• Advertisement

• SandiLatham

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2012

Hi I don't know where you are applying for your Vietnam Visa from but we picked ours up in Phnom Penh. It cost us $40.00 CAD each and that included an extra cost for getting it on a weekend. We went to a travel agent and he was so helpful. It couldn't have been any easier. We applied for it on a Friday and got it back on Monday. We were a little concerned that it may not be legit but took the slow boat down the Mekong into Vietnam and had no problem at the customs office at all. We had priced it out in Canada and with postage and handling it would have cost us $150.00CAD each and we had to give them so much information it would have taken months to get it together. Hope this helps.

#2 Posted: 2/10/2012 - 09:11

• Joanna_S

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2012

Hi, I'm applying at the embassy in the UK.
    I'm going to travel extensively before I get to Vietnam and won't be in a place where I could get the visa, so had to do it here.
    oh well..

#3 Posted: 2/10/2012 - 09:26

• dwighthz

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2008

Please consider a "visa on arrival" - only if you flying into HCMC, DaNang or Hanoi. And you have the time. Cost: Visa on arrival service fee about US$20 - 33 for regular service or expedited service - depending on number of entries/exits. Government fee paid on arrival US$25 - 50 also depending on number of entries and how long you stay. Contact me here if you want a recommendation. You don't have to send or turn in your passport, can be done online or by FAX. Cheers.

#4 Posted: 7/10/2012 - 13:51

• Benno

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012

Having gone through the VISA process, the visa on arrival is the easiest and cheapest.
    I paid US$15pp to have a travel company in Vietnam pass my details onto the Immigration and then I get sent an approval letter which you take to Immigration when you arrive. You then present your passpoert, 2 x passport photos and US$25 and get your passport stamped.

The process is easy and no need to send your passport away as it's all done over tehe internet.

A sinlge entry VISA into Vietnam is US$25pp

#5 Posted: 27/10/2012 - 03:32

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I pay the same price as Benno for my VOA visa (Approval Letter) and hard copy visa on arrival - I use Visa4vietnam with 2 day turnaround. Going the embassy route is considerably more expensive and confusing, in my opinion. When you do use the VOA, you have the option of also preparing for arrival by downloading the Form on Arrival - available from Visa4vietnam also. I've done it this way for 4 trips, and will soon be taking my 5th trip in 3 more weeks. I'm American by the way - visa pricing can differ by nationality, and certain Asian and Scandinavian countries requite no visa for limited visits.

#6 Posted: 27/10/2012 - 10:33

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

prices WILL vary with
    Nationality - WHERE you apply and of course also type of visa. Rather useless to ask for without stating these basic facts. Embassies can be helpful, burocratic or anything in between-maybe it also simply depends on your own mindset and the indivudual worker.
    around 50US$ is roughly the usual amount for most westerners applying in western countries.
    Khmerland is always the cheapest for people on the go-about 30US$ from about any loical Khmer agent, processed not in PnPn but in Sihanouk.

#7 Posted: 1/11/2012 - 04:23

• enigmatic

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2011
    Total reviews: 11

Most nationalities can get a VN Visa in 5 minutes flat in Sihanoukville if they happen to be passing that way

#8 Posted: 2/11/2012 - 08:21

• ajf

Click here to learn more about ajf
    Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2011
    Location South Africa

hi - I'm looking at getting an online visa (visa on arrival), can we get the visa stamped at the vietnam border if we are travelling by bus, not going through an airport?

#9 Posted: 14/11/2012 - 05:52

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

do NOT ask a different Q-open a new post.
    NO- visa ''on arrival= in fact prearranged is ONLY for SOME airports possible-as has been stated quite clearly above already too.

#10 Posted: 24/11/2012 - 07:13

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.