Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

5-6 weeks in Vietnam - itinerary suggestions?

• GhostOfTomJ-
    oad

Joined Travelfish
    23rd August, 2012

I'm going to be in Vietnam for about 5-6 weeks in February and March 2013 (part of a 6 month trip to SEA). On a scale of most to least, i'm most interested in history and culture, and just chilling out and taking things as they come (hence why i'm spending 5-6 weeks rather than shooting through in a fortnight) and least interested in partying. I'm going from south to north and have identified the main areas along the way (HCMC, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Hue, Hanoi and Sapa).

What other places are worth going to? I was looking at Ninh Binh and Ha Giang as places that are a bit different to the main areas listed above. I do tend to like to mix up the tourist trail places with places a little less mainstream. Does anyone have any suggestions on my itinerary? Places to go (subjective i know), places listed above to miss?

When planning I like to focus on spending at least 3-4 days, and as much as a week, in one area. Considering the length of Vietnam, it might be best to focus my trip in 5-6 areas. I'd rather stay in one place for a 5-7 days rather than see 3 other places in that week.

Thanks for any advice.

#1 Posted: 9/10/2012 - 12:30

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Well, I hear good things about Dalat and the central highlands for relaxing and getting cool after the heat of HCMC. A friend went to Nha Trang and was not overly impressed with the beach there - meanwhile I had a fantastic time in Da Nang which plays into your plan to spend a significant amount of time in an area. You can stay near the beach in Da Nang - like a 5 minute walk, for fairly cheap and be in a quiet local area but still with access to bars and the like. I'm sort of a big Da Nang advocate as I also enjoy playing 60's US rock & roll at Sunrise Bar while thinking about the marines landing in 65.

You didn't say that much about natural scenery, but I notice you didn't add Ha Long Bay to the list - or is that part of the Hanoi leg? There is a bay north of Ha Long that is far less touristy but still accessible that you might consider. The north can be a little rainy and foggy in February, but that adds to the charm of the karst formations . . . it'll get chilly at night up in Sapa that time of year, and even Hue gets a fair amount of rain . . . but I think that just always happens in Hue.

So I'd recommend a few nights stay with a motorbike in Hoi'an, then up to Da Nang for a few nights stay, then the beautiful train ride between Da Nang and Hue and check out all the history around Hue including the DMZ stuff. If you are only gonig to Nha Trang for the beaches, you get plenty of that in Da Nang and Hoi'an.

#2 Posted: 9/10/2012 - 20:10

• Lila_Kue

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2012

Well i think it's a good idea of you when you said "it might be best to focus my trip in 5-6 areas" Just don't miss Hanoi and Halong bay tour. Trekking in Sapa is the good one too. For me itt was great! Good luck to your trip!

#3 Posted: 30/10/2012 - 04:22

• enigmatic

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2011
    Total reviews: 11

Since you describe yourself as "least interested in partying" I'd suggest you don't plan on spending too much time in Nha Trang.

Ninh Binh is definitely worth a stop - you can see the area pretty thoroughly on a bike in a couple of days but decent accommodation in the karst scenic area (as opposed to the fairly dull Vietnamese provincial city) might persuade you to stay a little longer

I've heard mostly good things about Phu Quoc island which would definitely allow you to relax

Da Lat is worth considering, mostly for motorbike tours of the relatively untouristed surrounding highlands (the town itself isn't that exciting if you're not a Vietnamese honeymooner)

#4 Posted: 2/11/2012 - 08:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Itinerary suggestions- 10 weeks in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos ... By Iwanttogetaway on 17 Apr 2011 11 5251 20 Apr 2011
3 Weeks Indonesia August / September, help with itinerary / travel suggestions... ... By nochnbier on 19 Apr 2013 4 2648 28 Jun 2013
Four Weeks Motorcycling Vietnam - Suggestions please ask! ... By jonvdh on 19 Jul 2013 3 1010 11 Dec 2013
Vietnam Itinerary check/suggestions ... By stever1000 on 21 Nov 2013 4 770 8 Dec 2013
Chiang Mai - Laos - Vietnam itinerary - suggestions? ... By somanights on 27 Oct 2013 4 849 1 Nov 2013
Travel Itinerary - Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam. Any suggestions? ... By rossco on 1 Aug 2011 4 3658 2 Aug 2011