Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Vietnam itinerary, 2 weeks.

• ludacriz

Joined Travelfish
    17th October, 2012

Hi!
    My girlfriend and I have booked a trip to hcmc for two weeks and we wanted to explore a bit more of vietnam.
    Our plan was to fit in a little bit of hcmc as well as some beach and some culture.
    We are gonna be there from mid-december and to me hoi an seems like a very good place for both culture and beaches.

I've read many different things about the weather and my question is the weather would be good enough for some beach days in the end of december?
    If not, I guess we will go to phu quoc for a couple of days but as I understand there isn't much to do on phu quoc.

Is there any place to recommend with a bit more things to do than phu quoc but still not that touristy where we can expect good weather?

And finally, is it common with delays when travelling with vietnam airlines?
    Thanks

#1 Posted: 17/10/2012 - 14:55

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

In short, the weather is erratic, but most people would tell you that December is a good time to walk around Hoi'an but not great for beach weather - Phu Quoc will average much less rainfall and about 5C hotter. I also found Hoi'an very touristy so looking for somewhere like Phu Quoc but not so touristy would put Hoi'an off the mark in my opinion - though there is plenty to do around there and I'm not saying that I don't recommend the region, I quite enjoy Da Nang/Hoi'an area.

I think you can easily fill up a couple days in PQ. My girlfriend and I spent something like 6 nights at Thong Loi (sadly closed we hear) up in a quiet bay and just loved it. A day going into town was nice and a day trip that took us boating to some snorkeling and other beaches, opportunities to rent motorbikes, and Long Beach is lively if you're looking for more to do. I'd really recommend the area around Bo Resort and Mango Bay though, that's where Thong Loi was (though Bo doesn't seem to have any beach-side bungalows).

I've known people who've been disappointed with Nha Trang, but can't speak from personal experience on that one - maybe someone can offer that as a viable option. Really, the weather is splendid in Dec-Feb around the Delta so with only two weeks I'd consider HCMC and a few days exploring the delta all the way to Rach Gai and taking a boat over to PQ, then just arrange to fly back from PQ to HCMC. Would be a splendid holiday and wouldn't have you bouncing about the country so much. You can save central Vietnam for another trip - it deserves two weeks itself in my opinion.

#2 Posted: 17/10/2012 - 20:24

• ludacriz

Joined Travelfish
    17th October, 2012

Thanks for a very good answer!
    Do you have any good ideas of how to make our trip through the Mekong delta to phu quoc?
    As we don't have to many days maybe it's better to go for a arranged tour?

#3 Posted: 18/10/2012 - 03:44

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

We didn't use a tour, just took the regular minbuses from HCMC to Can Tho and explored around there. I'm not sure if tours allow you to go all the way to Rach Gai and then go on your own to Phu Quoc. Maybe someone else can give better advice. Depending on how you want to explore you could just head into Can Tho and explore around there a couple nights and then head on to Rach Gai on your own, with some help from the front desk at the place your staying I doubt it'd be too difficult.

#4 Posted: 18/10/2012 - 07:58

• ludacriz

Joined Travelfish
    17th October, 2012

Does anyone know if it is hard to find a last-minute flight from phu quoc to can tho (or rach gia) in the end of december?
    We don't really want to book yet since we don't know how many days we want to stay on phu quoc.

#5 Posted: 4/12/2012 - 13:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.