Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

One day in hanoi - must see's?

• ajf

Click here to learn more about ajf
    Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2011
    Location South Africa

Hi guys, so schedule is tight and budget is tight (end of a three week trip) and I've only got one full day in Hanoi (2 nights) before heading to Halong bay for a junk cruise, what would you recommend as must see's / must do? And the best/ cheapest way to get around the city? Thank-you! Andrea

#1 Posted: 18/10/2012 - 05:29

• Advertisement

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Don't think of Hanoi as a "must see this and that" kind of place. Find a nice back street, drink a beer, eat a spring roll, move on and repeat the drill somewhere else. The area around the lake is probably best if you've just got one day there.

#2 Posted: 18/10/2012 - 08:20

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

If you have a few weeks lead time, I thoroughly recommend booking a free tour with Hanoikids, the student guide service (English practice). You just give your guide(s) lunch and pay for the cab. You tell them your interests and they do the rest. Send them an email now - hanoikidsvn@gmail.com

(similar services in Saigon and Danang/Hoi An)

#3 Posted: 18/10/2012 - 12:57

• ajf

Click here to learn more about ajf
    Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2011
    Location South Africa

Great advise - thanks guys! We have been able to stretch it to 2 days 3 nights and are considering the overnight train to sapa or a day trip to the perfume pagoda to.

#4 Posted: 23/10/2012 - 02:18

• Lila_Kue

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2012

Wow, you shoudn't miss trekking in Sapa since it's worth it. About Hanoi, i suggest you take some references from hanoikids.com. They are free tour. They have some fun and interesting tour around Hanoi.

#5 Posted: 30/10/2012 - 04:40

• worldcitylu-
    st

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2012
    Location Australia

I love Hanoi and could easily live there.
    Some choice things to do are sitting on the street drinking a beer and eat (can't go wrong with pho bo).

Or at the roundabout at the north end of the main lake you will see balcony bars above where you can watch the traffic madness and get great photos.

A great walking tour to do independently would be up to the War Museum, then on to Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum. The lineup to file past the great leader is an experience in itself. Then not too far from the Mausoleum is a small lake surrounded by residental blocks and a B52 bomber engine/wing is still sitting in the lake. A bit hard to find and I can't remember how I found it without asking lots of locals along the route but well worth it. Here is a link to show you what I mean.
    http://www.aviationmuseum.eu/World/Asia/Vietnam/Hanoi/B-52_Lake.htm

And if you got the guts, hire a motorbike and go over one of the bridges to the suburbs and see the sights away from tourists. Remember your helmut though as Hanoi police are stricter about this rule than anywhere else I've been.

#6 Posted: 2/11/2012 - 06:44

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11

#7 Posted: 4/11/2012 - 02:16

• andlynsheeba

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2012

Hi,

Hanoi is the most exciting place in Vietnam. While we visiting to Vietnam Hanoi is the hottest tourist spot. These are the following attractive tourist places in Hanoi, They are as follows...
    Tran Quoc Pagoda
    Ly Quoc Su Pagoda
    Saint Joseph Cathedral
    Bat trang Pottery Village
    Hanoi Opera House
    Hanoi Ancient House at 87 Ma May Street
    Vietnam Women's Musem
    Van Phuc Slik Village
    Hanoi Flag Tower
    Long Bien Bridge

So enjoy tour holidays in your favorite place of Hanoi....

Regards,

Sheeba

#8 Posted: 30/11/2012 - 06:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.