Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Da Nang or Hoi An?

• yomanvin

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2012
    Location India

Hey guys,

Putting it simply, is Da Nang or Hoi An a better place to spend for 1-1.5 days en route Nha Trang-> Hue.

#1 Posted: 24/10/2012 - 05:12

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

You want Hoi An , but they are neighbors (you can visit Danang while staying in Hoi An). Hoi An is also much nicer than Nha Trang, in my opinion.

#2 Posted: 24/10/2012 - 08:36

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

We did the opposite stayed in Danang and took a motorbike to Hoi An .
    Hoi An is charming without a doubt and hotels are cheaper than Danang. What Danang has in its favour is it is not over run with tourists like Hoi An so you get to see a real Vietnamaese city and a very beautiful one at that.Walking the river front in the evening is delightful. Peaceful and lovely.The beach which is just an extension of the one in Hoi An is full of places selling fresh seafood at very cheap prices.So it depends what you want. Just remember Hoi An is as touristy as it gets.

#3 Posted: 24/10/2012 - 09:01

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Agree with Sayadian - if you want to stay very close to the beach Da Nang is probably a better option as well. You could stay on the east side of the river and take motorbike cabs into town in the evening - or hire a bike for multiple days (a lot of the hotels let you keep them in the lobby), Monkey Mountain is nice to check out as well as Marble Mountain.

A real city that also isn't as crazy as Hoi'an or HCMC - very accessible, a great place to get the feel of life in Vietnam.

#4 Posted: 24/10/2012 - 19:47

• budgethanoi

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

I stay in Danang and Hoi An 3-4 times a year, and i love them all. However for a short trip 1 -1.5 day, you should choose Hoi An. You could spend a day walking in old quarters, afternoon at local beaches ( An Bang or Ha Mi ).

#5 Posted: 24/10/2012 - 20:29

• LoudFish

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2012

I think was Hoi An was very nice, theres is enough to do there for 1 or 2 days :)

#6 Posted: 25/10/2012 - 13:14

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

All that said - most people would opt for Hoi'an if you only have such a short time to stay. You'll go into Da Nang to catch the train to Hue anyway, a great little stretch of track.

#7 Posted: 25/10/2012 - 21:37

• enigmatic

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2011
    Total reviews: 11

Da Nang isn't exactly unattractive (although beauty is in the eye of the beholder; the area near China beach that lives in pre-development limbo is a mess) but Hoi An is one of the region's highlights. Only reason I'd give Hoi An a miss is if I really hated being approached by people trying to sell me things in English, and if that was the case I'd take a massive detour to avoid Nha Trang.
    (which has a lot of the aesthetic qualities of Da Nang if you like well-designed promenades, skinny tower hotels and everything having a fresh coat of paint).

#8 Posted: 25/10/2012 - 21:53

• Twerto

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2011

I can only speak of Hoi An which was beautiful and tranquil ( low season ) some of the shop keepers are getting desperate to sell so bargains can be found but it does also lead to some being a bit persistent which took me by surprise after the rest of Vietnam being so laid back compared to Thailand and Cambodia. Bech again was very quiet due to it beign low season dont know if the sea is calmer nearer Da Nang but it was quite rough at the Hoi An side.

I'll admit i didnt possibly see Da Nang in the best light but i wasnt that impressed as we drove out of it to get to Hoi An but I will give it more of a chance if i ever make it back in that direction.

#9 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 08:38

• worldcitylu-
    st

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2012
    Location Australia

I think Hoi An as well is the best bet. The beach there is the best I have seen in Vietnam and I love riding the jetskis which are really cheap to use.

#10 Posted: 2/11/2012 - 06:49

• Advertisement

• hoangthuthuy

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hoi An is better. You can go betwwen Hoi An and Da Nang by shuttle bus with only $6 per person per way.

#11 Posted: 7/12/2012 - 20:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.