Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum


  • robbieurch

    Joined Travelfish
    1st November, 2012
    Posts: 2

    Hello friends
    I am facing a little dilemma.I have my first backpacking trip to southeast Asia booked for march 2013 beginning in Thailand.2 days ago while surfing around the net excitedly looking for ideas for my trip I became introduced to idea of teaching English short term whilst in Vietnam and perhaps Laos,so in probably the the most rash snap decision I have ever made. I was i was sold(for quite a large sum) an advance TESOL diploma course.so the dilemma, I am getting overcome with what I describe as the travelers version of a gamblers hangover. has anybody had experience with a TESOL diploma? Will it a actually help? some advice or even kind words would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you in advance

    #1 Posted: 1/11/2012 - 21:49

  • Advertisement

  • Pelicoo

    Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2011
    Posts: 7

    Posted from within Vietnam.

    A TEFL/TESOL certificate is very useful when applying for a teaching job in Vietnam.. Schools will also want you to have a University degree. Overall you should find a teaching job pretty easily here - not too sure about Laos though!

    #2 Posted: 2/11/2012 - 01:39

  • robbieurch

    Joined Travelfish
    1st November, 2012
    Posts: 2

    man this is the scary part. I dont have a university degree

    #3 Posted: 2/11/2012 - 17:47

  • caseyprich

    Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Posts: 1281
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

    If you're flying into BKK you can always buy one on Khoasan Road. From personal experience in China, and friends experience in Da Nang and Hanoi - most schools are looking for university degrees. However, most proper schools are going to want one year contracts anyway. If you're looking to do some English language center work (in China examples would be WEB, Wall Street English, Disney English, English First) even they need a university degree in order to get you a short-term working visa.

    If you can find a slightly dodger outfit - or get a connect with someone who can vouch for you, you can probably get some under the table work done on your tourist visa - I'm not sure how it works in Vietnam, but in China to get any kind of work visa at a school you must have completed a university degree.

    #4 Posted: 3/11/2012 - 06:23

  • robertlewis-

    Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2012
    Posts: 2

    I have just returned from 16 months working and travelling in SE Asia. I worked at a couple of schools. The first never asked to see my documentation but certainly in Vietnam you will require a Degree and a TESOL certificate. By far the most desirable is to complete a CELTA course. You will find work virtually anywhere with one. Having said that I met a number of people who got work without any qualifications but at a much lower rate of pay and with no work permit so you risk being arrested. The authorities occassionally raid the less reputable English schools but usually in the run up to TET (Looking for a bribe) I'd check this blog post on Teaching English Abroad if you want to know more;

    #5 Posted: 8/11/2012 - 03:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee