Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

From Mui Ne to Vientiane

• rlpangahas

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2012

My fiance and I will travel in Thailand-Cambodia-Vietnam-Laos in late January to February 2013. I am having difficulty figuring out the best way from Mui Ne to Vientiane, aside from flight of course. Please help. :(

#1 Posted: 14/11/2012 - 09:40

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Mui Ne to Vientiane -- the most straightforward route would be bus or train north to Hue from where you can get through buses all the way to Vientiane. Long trip.

If you decide to fly. backtrack to Saigon and fly from there.

#2 Posted: 22/11/2012 - 02:32

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

IFyou ask other people to invest time etc do some homework: its 2000km-and a bus will not go faster as 40-50 km/hr-thats 40-50 hrs for thattrip+ connection times.
    Take a look at a map-and think if you really, really would go fastest or chgepest or do some stops=by far the best option.
    Both IN Lao or IN VN thereare good buses northsouth. But the links between the 2-therearemore as above-are the bottleneck-maybe 1/day and taking even longer for borders.
    Best combo for time and pirce-flying is likely-hit 1 of their promosyens, AirAsia SGN-to BKK, then domestic to Udorn Thanee and direct minibus to borderbridge. Go to SGN day before. Of coruse you can fly direct SGN-VTE-but that will cost.

#3 Posted: 24/11/2012 - 07:08

• rlpangahas

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2012

Thanks for your replies. I decided to go straight from Siem Reap to Mui Ne (good luck with that) instead of staying halfway of Saigon and Mui Ne. I wanted a halfway thinking it would be easier to access both places but since there'd be lots to do (I think) in both places, it would be better to stay 2 or 3 days for each. If you have any recommendations for cheap hotels in Saigon and/or Mui Ne and activities I am all ears. :)

somtam2000: I love seafood! If you know any restaurant with great seafood, please do tell. :D
    captainbkk: What is HTL? Goodluck with the motorbike and thanks for the advice. :)

#4 Posted: 25/11/2012 - 02:07

• rlpangahas

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2012

It is hell. It is very difficult to travel from Southern Vietnam to Laos. I had to cut off Northern Vietnam since we only have limited time (29 days) for Thailand-Cambodia-Vietnam-Laos-Thailand. And we ended up choosing a flight from HCMC to Luang Prabang. :( It is ridiculously expensive. :-/

#5 Posted: 25/11/2012 - 02:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.