Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Christmas in HCMC

• helzie2430

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2012

I will be in HCMC with two kids(10,11) over christmas. I would love to hear suggestions about how to make my boys christmas unforgetable.

#1 Posted: 23/11/2012 - 03:09

• Advertisement

• m4yb

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2012

We will, too! Flying in on 21/12. I am particularly interested in knowing if restaurants will be open (and packed!) or closed on Xmas Day!
    But I think the Cathedral (or is it now called Citadel) will have the usual nativity scene, and, if you are of the catholic faith, maybe Midnight Mass, albeit in vietnamese????

#2 Posted: 4/12/2012 - 20:07

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

Just the idea-this is Asia!
    Of course about any restrt will be open. The hi-class ones will lay on expensive reserved special set dinners. Always give an indication to what type of budget youre in-if thats mid/hi-class, go to tripadvisor or virtualtourist.
    Vnam has after PHillipiine the highest % of christians/catholic, esp. in south, and lots of churches, for the local population. I guess they will also offer the inherited from the French style of doing Noel.

#3 Posted: 5/12/2012 - 02:30

• m4yb

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2012

helzie, I have found a bit on Xmas in Saigon, right here:
    http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/vietnam/2011/12/16/christmas-in-saigon/

looks like you and the kids will have a great time!

#4 Posted: 10/12/2012 - 01:00

• Friggame

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2012

Christmas in Saigon is unforgetable. If you are in District 1 that is.

Just walking up and down the streets there is interesting enough. The roads and sidewalks are packed full of folks taking pictures goodness so many folks taking pictures of/with almost anything. I remember my first Christmas in Vietnam and thiking to myself wow they go all out over here. From the heiniken bottle christmas tree to the oversized Santa's.

We will be in Vietnam during Christmas again this year but we are spending it on Phu Quoc this time.

#5 Posted: 19/12/2012 - 17:36

• m4yb

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Here we are in HCMC on the Friday before Xmas. helzie2430, I hope you are all enjoying Xmas here, and not finding the experience too bewildering. The streets are choked with people out for the evening. looking at the lights etc.... I counted a family of 5 on a motorbike. And they DO take a lot of photos, like posing in front of the designer shops! But despite the congestion, people are smiling and not a cross word, no aggression... and no public drunkenness

#6 Posted: 21/12/2012 - 07:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.