Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Hoi an to Hanoi (via Hue?) - flights in vietnam??

• oisin

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2007

I fly from HCMC to Da Nang in June and plan to stay 2 nights in Hoi An before travelling onto Hanoi.

I was considering getting an early train from Hoi An to Hue and then flying onto Hanoi. Is that more hassle than its worth??

Should I just go back to Da Nang and fly to Hanoi??

Is vietnam airlines the only airline that flies from Hue / Da Nang to Hanoi??? I can't book online with them and can't get through by telephone.

Does anyone know how can I book a flight?

#1 Posted: 18/5/2007 - 16:13

• Advertisement

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

Bad news - there is no rail link in HOI AN so DA NANG will be your station.

Both VIETNAM AIRLINES and PACIFIC AIRLINES (the VN discount carrier) service DA NANG and HA NOI. There is a new VN air carrier due to enter service shortly - it has received its go ahead from the government.

Relax about booking on-line; both carriers have numerous daily flights between HCMC, Da Nang and Ha Noi - Pacific has its base at Da Nang. BOOK DIRECTLY with air carriers for dependability and lower costs.

Travel agents mark up ticket prices as commission is no longer paid. For example, Tonkin Tours has admitted marking its travel products up by 10% as a 'service' charge. 10% is a lot for a telephone call.

The best travel mode between Hoi An and Hue is by BUS - all companies run two buses between these destinations. For best safety use either An Phu or Sinh. (A good hotel in Hoi An is the NHI NHI HOTEL and in Hue I recommend the NGUYEN TRI PHU HOTEL - both with prices starting at USD$10 for a double - breakfast extra)

#2 Posted: 20/5/2007 - 23:58

• oisin

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2007

Are you sure?

Vietnam airlines seems to be the only carrier from Danang to Hanoi from what I can see.

I had heard that the train journey between hoi an and hue was not to be missed? That is the only reason I was concisdering flying from hue to hanoi instead of danang to hanoi. What do you reckon??

If it is not that great then I will just make my way from hoi an back to danang and fly to hanoi from there.

I'd appreciate your thoughts...

Oisin

#3 Posted: 21/5/2007 - 16:05

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

As CatBa says, no train connection at Hoi An -- you need to head north by motorbike or van/bus from Hoi An to Da Nang and pick up the train from there. The train trip from Da Nang to Hue is a beautiful one, so if time allows it is worth doing.

I checked the Pacific Airlines ( link to Pacific Airlines English website here) and they only seem to do Saigon to Da Nang, but I've got the feeling they don't have all their flights on the website.

BTW, their May promotion has the rather unfortunate slogan "We Fly Lower"...

#4 Posted: 21/5/2007 - 18:19

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

Unless I was flying on a ghost aircraft, I have flown Da Nang to Ha Noi on Pacific.

Hue (Phu Bai) is ONLY served by VietNam Airlines.

WARNING: All 244+ hotels and guest houses will be filled for the FOUR days beginning 2007 JUNE 10 which is when the Hue Festival is celebrated.

Economy accommodation is located is a quiet haven located on a side street at 66 Le Loi - on the side opposite the Century Riverside.

#5 Posted: 30/5/2007 - 22:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.