Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

hiring a scooter???

• muskey

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Hello. Im going to saigon in march 2013 for a few days and i was wondering if it is possible to hire and ride a 100cc - 125cc scooter without a full motorbike licence. Any help or advise would be appreciated.

#1 Posted: 30/11/2012 - 14:14

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'm just back from doing that. Legally (and in most cases for travel insurance purposes) you require a Vietnamese motorbike license, which can be time consuming to get -- we were told at least ten days, and you require a motorbike license in your home country to be able to get one.

We decided to ride without one.

Hire companies are all over the tourist district of Saigon and will hire without a license but will require either your passport or a hefty deposit (US$700-800) on the bike.

If you are pulled over by the police, we were told to pay 100,000-300,000 VND on the spot to avoid more problems. In practise we were only pulled over once and that wasn't regarding a license (I was speeding and the officer just asked me to slow down).

Also, not all rental places will hire you a bike to take it into the Delta (where we went) the first three shops turned up down.

Just to note, if you ride without a valid VN license and have an accident, your travel insurance most likely will not cover you.

Cheers!

#2 Posted: 21/12/2012 - 18:55

• muskey

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

THANKYOU FOR YOUR ADVISE. IM ONLY IN SAIGON FOR THREE DAY'S BEFORE HEADING OFF TO SIEM REAP... I REALLY ENJOY GETTING ABOUT SIGHTSEEING AND THERE IS NO BETTER WAY THAN JUMPING ON A SCOOTER AND DISCOVERING PLACES. I'VE RIDEN SCOOTER'S IN THAILAND AND BEEN OK WITH THE MANIC TRAFFIC. HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE SAIGON TO A FIRST TIMER SOMTAM 2000?

#3 Posted: 22/12/2012 - 04:29

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Like a small version of Bangkok, without the mass transit and with a bucket load more motorbikes! Scooting around town shouldn't be a problem but if you're never seen it before the traffic can be a bit mental.

#4 Posted: 22/12/2012 - 04:42

• muskey

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

HOW WAS THE NITELIFE? I REALLY ENJOY A GOOD BEER, LAUGHTER AND MEETING PEOPLE. IS THIS A PLACE WERE YOU CAN HAVE FUN? WHERE ARE YOU GOING NEXT ON YOUR TRAVELS?

#5 Posted: 22/12/2012 - 06:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.