Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Vietnam queries - advice needed

• eagerbeaver

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2007

Hey, I’m traveling to Vietnam in late June and have a few queries. I’d appreciate any advice:

1) Is two days enough to spend in Saigon (not including a Mekong Delta) or is three days recommended?

2) Has anyone been to Ha Long bay in June? Does the mist/fog make the visibility very poor?

3) Is the Perfume Pagoda outside Hanoi worth a visit?

4) I’m planning to spend 2/3 days in Sapa. Would you recommend buying a full tour from a travel agent in Hanoi or hiring a local guide after arriving in Sapa?

If I find a guide immediately upon arrival in Sapa, are they usually willing to start the trek on that very same day or does the trek usually start on the next day?

If I travel to Sapa independently, is it much cheaper to buy train tickets from Hanoi to Lao Cai at the train station in Hanoi rather than from a travel agent in Hanoi?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

#1 Posted: 21/5/2007 - 06:02

• Advertisement

• robstuar

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2007

1) Is two days enough to spend in Saigon (not including a Mekong Delta) or is three days recommended?

**Two full days is enough if you're on a tight timetable.

2) Has anyone been to Ha Long bay in June? Does the mist/fog make the visibility very poor?

**Maybe we were lucky, but we were there in late June, and it was perfect.

3) Is the Perfume Pagoda outside Hanoi worth a visit?

** It is a very strenuous trek, and the "pagoda" is not that wonderful. Put your effort & time into Tam Coc.

4) I’m planning to spend 2/3 days in Sapa. Would you recommend buying a full tour from a travel agent in Hanoi or hiring a local guide after arriving in Sapa?

** Probably better in Sapa. Go to the Mountainview Hotel for advice.

If I find a guide immediately upon arrival in Sapa, are they usually willing to start the trek on that very same day or does the trek usually start on the next day?

** If this is an issue, then it's better to make arrangements in Hanoi. Look at the APT TRAVEL website.

If I travel to Sapa independently, is it much cheaper to buy train tickets from Hanoi to Lao Cai at the train station in Hanoi rather than from a travel agent in Hanoi?

**You might spend hours of frustration to save a dollar. Make sure you're driven to the right station. There are two, you know, about 4 blocks apart in very congested traffic.

Robin & Stuart

#2 Posted: 21/5/2007 - 13:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Cambodia queries - advice needed ... By eagerbeaver on 21 May 2007 3 2383 23 May 2007
Vietnam queries ... By Bigcustardbowl on 10 May 2006 2 1713 10 May 2006
2 weeks in Vietnam!! advice needed ... By DeviouslySweet on 3 Jul 2011 6 3627 8 Jul 2011
2 weeks itinerary in Vietnam - advice needed ... By blimunda on 17 Nov 2011 9 3684 16 Dec 2011
Advice needed!! travel from southern laos to hue, vietnam ... By elena123 on 29 May 2007 2 3675 30 May 2007
Budget advice needed! 4 weeks yunnan, vietnam and thailand ... By s0908946 on 14 Mar 2011 0 4456 14 Mar 2011