Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Vietnam queries - advice needed

Posted by eagerbeaver on 21/5/2007 at 06:02

Hey, I’m traveling to Vietnam in late June and have a few queries. I’d appreciate any advice:

1) Is two days enough to spend in Saigon (not including a Mekong Delta) or is three days recommended?

2) Has anyone been to Ha Long bay in June? Does the mist/fog make the visibility very poor?

3) Is the Perfume Pagoda outside Hanoi worth a visit?

4) I’m planning to spend 2/3 days in Sapa. Would you recommend buying a full tour from a travel agent in Hanoi or hiring a local guide after arriving in Sapa?

If I find a guide immediately upon arrival in Sapa, are they usually willing to start the trek on that very same day or does the trek usually start on the next day?

If I travel to Sapa independently, is it much cheaper to buy train tickets from Hanoi to Lao Cai at the train station in Hanoi rather than from a travel agent in Hanoi?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

#1 eagerbeaver has been a member since 14/5/2007. Posts: 8

Posted by robstuar on 21/5/2007 at 13:25

1) Is two days enough to spend in Saigon (not including a Mekong Delta) or is three days recommended?

**Two full days is enough if you're on a tight timetable.

2) Has anyone been to Ha Long bay in June? Does the mist/fog make the visibility very poor?

**Maybe we were lucky, but we were there in late June, and it was perfect.

3) Is the Perfume Pagoda outside Hanoi worth a visit?

** It is a very strenuous trek, and the "pagoda" is not that wonderful. Put your effort & time into Tam Coc.

4) I’m planning to spend 2/3 days in Sapa. Would you recommend buying a full tour from a travel agent in Hanoi or hiring a local guide after arriving in Sapa?

** Probably better in Sapa. Go to the Mountainview Hotel for advice.

If I find a guide immediately upon arrival in Sapa, are they usually willing to start the trek on that very same day or does the trek usually start on the next day?

** If this is an issue, then it's better to make arrangements in Hanoi. Look at the APT TRAVEL website.

If I travel to Sapa independently, is it much cheaper to buy train tickets from Hanoi to Lao Cai at the train station in Hanoi rather than from a travel agent in Hanoi?

**You might spend hours of frustration to save a dollar. Make sure you're driven to the right station. There are two, you know, about 4 blocks apart in very congested traffic.

Robin & Stuart

#2 robstuar has been a member since 18/5/2007. Posts: 10

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.