Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Hanoi choosing a place to stay on arrival

• enday

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2012
    Total reviews: 6

Is getting a taxi from the airport to the Old Quater in Hanoi and wandering around checking out room options a reasonable choice? Its what I did in Laos, and I enjoyed myself. The only reason I'm uncertain is because of the potential hassles of the taxi.... from everything I read sounds like taxi trips in Vietnam are no fun. Where would be a good place to get the driver to drop me off? Shall I just name a random hotel, or landmark? Thanks

#1 Posted: 12/12/2012 - 03:05

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

If you arrive in daylight hours, you can take the Vietnam Airlines shuttle to their offices just south of the Old Quarter - much safer than a random taxi. If you arrive later, I would insist on Mai Linh Group cabs. Head for Hoan Kiem Lake - center of town in the Old Quarter.

If you tell us your budget, we might suggest a few places, but Hanoi is far far more complex and one hell of a lot bigger than Vientiane or Luang Prabang with literally hundreds of small hotels. This year, the travel business is pretty poor, and that means it's a buyer's market. For 2 star, I suggest the Holiday Gold Hotel on Hang Manh. For 3 star, it would be extremely hard to beat the Art Hotel on Hang Dieu. I stayed at both places on my trip this month (both were excellent, friendly, well located and value-packed!)

#2 Posted: 12/12/2012 - 19:39

• LastWalkman

Click here to learn more about LastWalkman
    Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2012
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

If you are low budget, has some choice for you in Hanoi Old quarter such as Backpacker hotel. If not, you can choose Golden lake in Hang Hanh, it's 3 stars but not far from Hanoi Old Quarter, especialy, if are lucky, you can stay in Hoan kiem lake view room.

#3 Posted: 13/12/2012 - 03:15

• enday

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2012

Thanks Daawgon, the shuttle bus sounds ideal, I get to Hanoi mid morning. Yes, i figured this exercise in accommodation hunting would be pretty different to Laos, Im looking forward to it, but I dont eant to spend too much time on it. My budget is up to $20 a night, could probably stretch that to a bit more if it seems really necessary ... I *need* a window in my room, I need non-smoking and I like a bit of character! Suggestions welcome

#4 Posted: 13/12/2012 - 07:19

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

From the Vietnam Airlines' shuttle drop off, turn left (the way the traffic's going as it's a oneway street), cross the main road and walk straight up to Nha Chung. After 5 - 10 minutes' walk you'll come to the Cathedral - there are lots of budget hotels along Au Trieu (which runs alongside the cathedral - turn left) and in the alleyways behind. I can't recommend any specifically in this area though. To get to Hanh Manh, which Daawgon mentions, keep going straight (the road turns into Ly Quoc Su) and then cross over Hang Gai onto Hanh Manh.. For Hang Hanh, turn right opposite the cathedral then left, right, left. All within a 15 minute walk from the bus drop off. Or try Little Hanoi Hostel 2, by Hoan Kiem Lake. The list could go on! But as Daawgon says, there are hundreds of hotels and it's quiet at the moment, so as long as you don't have your heart set on a particular place you should have no problem walking round to find somewhere.

#5 Posted: 13/12/2012 - 08:23

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I have stayed in the Especen Hotel in the Cathedral area - this is a very basic, but clean hotel. I was last there about 3 years ago in the $25. family room that comes with a very large balcony (currently around $30.) Look at the Especen's website because it not only illustrates it's rooms quite well, but if you go to it's FAQ page, you will find links to some prettty good local maps as well.

#6 Posted: 13/12/2012 - 12:11

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

The Especen looks pretty good for the price - I'll check it out!

#7 Posted: 13/12/2012 - 22:35

• enday

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2012

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it :)

#8 Posted: 15/12/2012 - 05:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Best place to stay on Bali arrival this June/July-- Kuta, Legian, Seminyak ... By JuliaMcD on 7 Apr 2013 10 12305 7 Jul 2013
Great place to stay in Hanoi ... By mau311 on 1 May 2008 1 2284 29 May 2008
Excellent place to stay in Hanoi ... By Pocohantas on 30 Jun 2013 0 1120 30 Jun 2013
XXXXX Hotels - An Economical Place To Stay in Hanoi, Viet Nam ... By north2 on 26 Mar 2006 0 1636 26 Mar 2006
Perfume Pagoda, Tam Coc, Trang Anh: choosing between excursions from Hanoi ... By EdwardTrunk on 4 Jan 2014 0 828 4 Jan 2014