Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Itinerary for 10 days in late Jan

• bubbl3s

Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2012

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to Hanoi late next month (Jan) and planning to stay for 5 days. I'm thinking to extend my trip south to Hue and Hoi An for another 5 days and fly out from Da Nang . I would like to seek your opinion whether my schedule is too hectic? I would like to do the river tour in Hue but I read that the weather will be too misty to see anything clearly.

Day 5: Fly from Hanoi to Hue (afternoon)
    Day 6: Hue (tombs)
    Day 7: Take train to Da Nang then bus to Hoi An.
    Day 8: Hoi An
    Day 9: Hoi An

The flight out of Da Nang is in the afternoon. Is it better to spend the night in Da Nang or just go to the airport directly from Hoi An? I'll most probably the taking public transport.

#1 Posted: 17/12/2012 - 04:12

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Stay in Hoi An - it's only 45 minutes to the airport from there. You should confirm your reservations now due to the Tet holiday.

#2 Posted: 17/12/2012 - 14:45

• bubbl3s

Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2012

Thanks daawgon. Should I buy the train ticket now or can it wail until I get to Hanoi first?

#3 Posted: 17/12/2012 - 21:44

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

If you are traveling around Tet get the tickets now - they can be delivered to your hotel before you even arrive. I used this company and had no problems: http://www.trainticketdeliver.com/

Seat61 now recommends these guys exclusively: www.vietnamimpressive.com

As Seat 61 used to send people onto the site I recommended from personal use, I imagine that Vietnam Impressive has struck some sort of advertising deal with them.

#4 Posted: 18/12/2012 - 01:32

• LolaNguyen

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

One last bit of advice - the public buses do not run from the train station or to the airport so remember to factor in how you are going to commute between these points. You are best off jumping on a ze om (motorbike taxi) from the train station to cover the couple of kilometres to the bus station (its pretty difficult to find) and should only cost 20,000VND, from the bus stop to the airport you may struggle as ze oms are not allowed in, so it might be worth checking out the Go Travel Vietnam minibus (80,000VND) bookable in town or at Dingo Deli on the Cua dai Rd, they take you directly to the terminal if you take a private car to the airport it should (Why do I want to underline that) cost between 220,000 and 250,000VND so use that as a guide. The bus is 18,000VND (it does say the price just inside the door) but they do like to charge more for tourists so have the right money or a 20,000VND note ready, hand it over and take your seat, you'll have no trouble this way. From the public bus station in Hoi An in to town its a couple of kilometres walk in to town which is easily do'able on foot unless you have loads of luggage - ze oms will charge a flat rate of 20,000VND to take you to your hotel - which would be worth booking in advance so close to Tet, if you don't expect to struggle and pay rack rate which is always more than you pay with sites like Agoda or Booking.com. Hope this helps!

#5 Posted: 18/12/2012 - 05:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.