Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Arriving 6pm Christmas Eve -Hanoi

• Timetotrave-
    l12

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2012

Hello,
    We're Arriving from Laos to Hanoi at 6pm on Christmas eve and going to Halong Bay on the 27th. As we're arriving late on the 24th can anyone suggest best things to do or go to in Hanoi that has a slight Christmas feel to it. Ive read alot online but they all seem to be for 2011 events. Can anyone direct me to a 'whats on' guide for 2012 over the 24th-26th Dec? Festive period..

Cheers
    Debbie

#1 Posted: 18/12/2012 - 10:33

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Maybe you should repeat the request on the Hanoi Expat Forum

(by the way, if you're using Lao Airlines, that was an excellent flight for me - came in from LPQ on Nov 30th)

#2 Posted: 18/12/2012 - 13:14

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

There's a Hanoi Christmas 2012 blog post on its way...

#3 Posted: 18/12/2012 - 23:43

• Timetotrave-
    l12

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2012

Thanks guys, yeah flying Laos airlines on Christmas eve if all goes to plan. I'm not too fussed about doing a western Christmas at all but just want a memorable day in Hanoi and wondered if anyone has any ideas?

#4 Posted: 20/12/2012 - 21:15

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

If you're not bothered about celebrating Christmas then here are some ideas to start with: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/214

For Christmas ideas try here: http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/vietnam/2012/12/19/christmas-in-hanoi-2012/

If you just want to soak up the Christmas atmosphere then just wander around, and definitely go to Hang Ma and, if budget permits, a drink at the Metropole.

#5 Posted: 20/12/2012 - 22:04

• breatheagain

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2011

We have just left Hanoi - by the lake in the centre would be a great place to eat or have a drink, that is where the water puppet show is - you will see the huge building and must buy tickets in advance - 60d (just under £2). It is extremly cold there - we had to buy extra clothes - warm jumpers, jackets, hats and gloves would be good - also you will need these items for La Hong Bay - stunningly beautiful but so cold this time of year. We bought cheap umbrellas and had to use them twice. Dont let the cold put you off it is a fantastic place - very noisy and hectic but as long as you are wrapped up well and have warm socks on you will be fine. merry christmas. we will be further down in Hoi An.

#6 Posted: 21/12/2012 - 05:23

• Timetotrave-
    l12

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2012

ThankS for the info guys. I've been checkin the weather and it does look like we'll need an umbrella. Booked on the Baya Cruise of Halong bay a few days after Christmas.. Got wooly socks, jumpers and waterproofs. I'm sure the weather will be hotter than Scotland anyway! Thanks for the tip about the puppet show, I think that's near our hotel too. We'll be in hoi an for new year..

#7 Posted: 21/12/2012 - 20:55

• conandoll

Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2013

Hoa Kiem lake can be a good place that you can visit at Christmas Eve, some interesting activities that you may love will be help near Hoan Kiem lake

#8 Posted: 22/11/2013 - 02:18

• bhartirathor

Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2013

Thank you for giving me suggesstion to where to go next time i'll remember your words always...................

#9 Posted: 22/11/2013 - 05:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.