Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

southern vietnam advice please

• breatheagain

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

we will have 11 days between HCM and going to Cambodia - we think we would like to go to Cambodia via the Mekong Delta but how would we make it last 11 days?? An organised tour for that long would be so expensive - it would be nice to stay for a while in some places in the Mekong Delta does anyone have any advise on how to 'hop on and off' boats or tours? We have two large suitcases. The islands seem to be expensive and the flights fully booked so that option is out - how can we fill 11days - we cant leave early as that mucks up other plans.
    help please!!

#1 Posted: 28/12/2012 - 03:31

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I just spent 11 days in the Delta funnily enough, though by motorbike and without two big bags. If you're aiming for Cambodia in the end, I'd suggest something like:

Saigon to My Tho , stay one or two nights there (do the boat trips etc) there is also a hidden away raft hotel there that would be lovely for a night - let me know if you want me to dig out the details.

Then My Tho to VinhLong allow one night for a homestay on the river there.

Then Vinh Long to Can Tho - do two nights there - spend one full day doing the floating market lark -- it is well worth it.

Then Can Tho to Rach Gia one night there and morning ferry to Phu Quoc Island, spend four nights there, then back to Rach Gia and get a minibus to Chau Doc over night there and speedboat the following morning to Phnom Penh.

More questions, ask away.

#2 Posted: 29/12/2012 - 02:28

• breatheagain

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

thank you for your advice - we have now booked My Tho - Can Tho and Chau Doc - the island was a good idea but a bit expensive and quite booked up. I will take this opportunity to thank you for your advise on my visa - you are correct we can leave on the 17th - after having a border guard stamp our passports with only 14 days when we had a 60 day visa has made me a bit twitchy!

#3 Posted: 31/12/2012 - 03:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Advice needed!! travel from southern laos to hue, vietnam ... By elena123 on 29 May 2007 2 3736 30 May 2007
Advice needed...Bangkok, Chang Mai, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, southern Thai islands... ... By sunshine87 on 24 Jun 2008 41 12554 15 Jul 2008