Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

South Vietnam help

• PinkPox

Joined Travelfish
    28th December, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Dear fellow travelers.
    These are very first times looking travel fish site and feel it very lovely and helpful. Hope that I can get very useful tips for our upcoming trip. Thanks in advance.
    We are two adults and one child of 6 are planning trips to the South of Vietnam. We only have 5 days in early May. We not interested in Saigon city tour but do love Cu Chu tunnel, heard many great things about it. We love to spend most time in Mekong delta, considering Can Tho, Chau Doc, Ben Tre, floating markets, fruit gardens (my son love it very much), traditional music, and true Vietnamese foods... Any specific suggestions would be hugely welcomed. What is a must to see?
    With such a time, can we visit Dalat and how long is good?Any recommendations?
    Thank you all very much.

#1 Posted: 28/12/2012 - 20:34

• Advertisement

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi PinkPox,

If you only have 5 days and want to see the Mekong Delta, it's probably best to base yourself in that area, and not waste most of one day on transport up to Dalat (which if memory serves was around 6 or 7 hours by bus from HCMC, so would probably be 8 or 9 hours by bus from somewhere like Can Tho).

There was a recent post by Somtam2000 on this site about itinerary ideas for the Mekong Delta (you can find it here: http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/vietnam/20558_southern-vietnam-advice-please) which may be useful to you.

Have a good trip!

#2 Posted: 29/12/2012 - 16:47

• PinkPox

Joined Travelfish
    28th December, 2012

Thanks for your reply. I have read the link and find some good suggestions. But with only 5 days, may I include Phu Quoc or it's better just stick to My Tho, Can Tho, Vinh Long, Rach Gia?
    Can you recommend a good tour operator whose prices are competitive and we can trust, too.
    Thanks very much!

#3 Posted: 30/12/2012 - 08:22

• guidosaigon

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2013

If you fly to Phu Quoc, you could go, but it seems like you are trying to see too much. Roads are slow here, and you will spend a lot of time just going to your destinations. Any reason Cu Chi tunnels are so important? They are interesting to be sure, but they are a bit depressing....the first thing you do is watch a violent war movie, then look at booby traps. You can shoot a machine gun if that is of interest. I would spend my day seeing something closer, and friendlier :-)

#4 Posted: 6/1/2013 - 14:21

• SaoMaiHotel

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2013

Hi PinkPox,

If you have only 5 days and you want to visit Southern of Vietnam. I would suggest you visit Ha Tien Town, one of the most attractive places in Kien Giang Province, Melkong Delta of Vietnam, besides Phu Quoc Island. Ha Tien is a popular tourist site for its beutiful lanscapes and beaches. You can take flight from Ho Chi Minh City to Phu Quoc Island, it takes about 55 minutes. And then take a ferry from Phu Quoc to Ha Tien. It takes about 2 hours. There are 2 ferry trip a day. Or you can go by coach/bus from Ho Chi Minh City to Ha Tien, stay one or two night in Ha Tien, visiting somes famous places, enjoy some true Vietnames foods and then take a ferry from Ha Tien to Phu Quoc Island. It takes about nine hours from Ho Chi Minh City to Ha Tien by bus/coach. There are many bus/coach trip from Ho Chi Minh City to Ha Tien a day. However, if you go by bus/coach from Ho Chi Minh City to Ha Tien, you can also visit Tien Giang, Can Tho or Vinh Long if you want.

#5 Posted: 22/1/2013 - 02:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.