Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Nha Trang to Hoi An by van?

• MorrieC

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2010

We are traveling as a group which is combined of 8 adult and are considering an overland trip by van through the highlands from Nha Trang to Hoi An. Visiting some of the ethnic villages and stopping at sites on the way.
    Is this a good way to travel from Nha Trang to Hoi An? How are the accommodations on this route.
    We need recommendations for a travel company that can arrange this type of trip?
    Thanks for the help.
    Morrie

#1 Posted: 31/12/2012 - 16:13

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The most common route from a trip like this would be Nha Trang -> Buon Ma Thuot -> Pleiku -> Kon Tum -> Hoi An. You'd ideally want at least five days to allow an overnight stay in each -- if you had to skip one, my vote would be for Pleiku, while Kon Tum is arguably the most interesting. All the towns have plenty of hotels.

Any travel agency in Nha Trang should be able to sort you out with a driver and van -- not sure on cost though,

Cheers

#2 Posted: 1/1/2013 - 07:09

• Xircal

Joined Travelfish
    24th December, 2012

According to Wikitravel, Nha Trang is not recommended for tourists at night and is rated as the most unsafe city in Vietnam by the writer of this article: http://wikitravel.org/en/Nha_Trang

If you want a tour company to arrange the trip for you, just Google for "Vietnam Tours". You'll find plenty to choose from.

#3 Posted: 1/1/2013 - 08:08

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Before you even consider such a trip by large van, you should investigate statistics of highway accidents in Vietnam. Large vans have been shown to be less than safe in the first place, and then you add on the unsafe highways in Vietnam to the equation - I would not ride with you even if you paid me in the millions!

#4 Posted: 1/1/2013 - 13:57

• LolaNguyen

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Wow! I'm hoping that hasn't put you off, Nha Trang would not be my destination of choice, but its got some plus points to keep you busy for a day or two, on the plus side all that 'terrible' crime will mean you keep your wits about you and make you really appreciate the rest of Vietnam, don't discount it, its one of the most touristed parts of the country and I'm sure not everyone had a bad stay. As for the roads, most of the crashes with large vehicles are due to the vehicle being a bit knackered or refueling on cheap petrol, unlicensed drivers and main highways. Private hire tourist mini buses do have to be licensed, hold inspection papers, have air con and come with a qualified guide. We hired a 12 seater from Hoi An to Phong Nha acouple of months ago and the price was $200 (we did the whole journey over a very long day with multiple stop off along the way), our driver didn't speak much English however which didn't matter so much for us as we speak enough Vietnamese to get by, but when you book make sure you say its a must or it can be a bit difficult unless you have the gift of patience.
    Somtam's route suggestion is a good one and it will take you off the highways. Daawgon, I can't help but imagine rural Vietnam with no tourist buses - heaven! You trying to keep the best bits of Vietnam to yourself? V.V bad!

#5 Posted: 4/1/2013 - 20:40

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I have to agree with Daawgon. Try to avoid this journey in a van.I did this journey two years ago. First off let me tell you that I've travelled extensively through Asia but the driving we experienced was by some way the worst I've ever seen and positively suicidal. The driver spent most of the time on his phone or turning back to chat with his co-worker. He didn't have a lot of time to watch the road. He was obviously fantasizing that he was a formula one driver as there were only two speeds - very fast and faster. We hurtled through every little town with his hand permanently crushing the horn to tell everyone he was there. I can't begin to count the number of small children playing in the street we narrowly missed. He made a point of overtaking on every blind bend. I expected my hair to be grey when we finally, shakily got out. It was certainly standing on end. So if you like adrenaline and your heart doing 100+ in time to the driving this route is for you. Alternatively get a big bus.
    By the way we thoroughly enjoyed Nah Trang especially the crazy island trip with the floating bar.

#6 Posted: 5/1/2013 - 13:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.