Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

12 days itinerary

Posted by gogofowad on 1/1/2013 at 18:37

My husband and I will be traveling in Vietnam for 12 days in April. We're flying into Hanoi and out of Ho Chi Minh. This is what we're thinking for an itinerary:

1 night in Hanoi

1 night in Halong Bay

3 nights Sapa (includes 2 overnight trains)

4 nights in Hoi An

3 nights in Ho Chi Minh

A couple of questions:

We decided to skip Hue to allow more time to relax in Hoi An. Is Hue a must-see?

What's best in Ho Chi Minh?

For those who visited Sapa recently - did you take malaria meds or just use deet?
Any recommendations for trains to Sapa?
Thanks everyone!

#1 gogofowad has been a member since 1/1/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/1/2013 at 22:27 admin

If you plan that out allowing for travel time I think you have a pretty tight fit. Lets say you arrive in morning Hanoi & depart Saigon in evening, then you're looking at something like this:

Day 1 morning arrive Hanoi
Day 2 morning depart for Ha Long Bay, begin cruise & overnight on bay
Day 3 finish cruise return to Hanoi, arriving most likely late afternoon, straight onto night train to Sapa
Day 4 Sapa
Day 5 day in Sapa, night train back to Hanoi
Day 6 fly to Da Nang on morning flight, then minivan transfer to Hoi An
Day 7 Hoi An
Day 8 Hoi An
Day 9 Hoi An
Day 10 morning backtrack to Da Nang for flight to Ho Chi Minh City
Day 11 Ho Chi Minh City
Day 12 Ho Chi Minh City & evening depart

If you're not planning on flying Hanoi -> Da Nang and Da Nang -> Ho Chi Minh City then I don't think the above is feasible as the overland transport (train or bus) is slow and you'll spend the majority of your time in transit.

My advice would be, take a day off Hoi An and give it to Hanoi. There is no way you could fit Hue into the above as well :)

For Saigon attractions, take a look at the sights section on the Saigon Blog -- lots there, Hoi An blog here.

More questions, ask away!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.