Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

12 days itinerary

• gogofowad

Joined Travelfish
    1st January, 2013

My husband and I will be traveling in Vietnam for 12 days in April. We're flying into Hanoi and out of Ho Chi Minh. This is what we're thinking for an itinerary:

1 night in Hanoi

1 night in Halong Bay

3 nights Sapa (includes 2 overnight trains)

4 nights in Hoi An

3 nights in Ho Chi Minh

A couple of questions:

We decided to skip Hue to allow more time to relax in Hoi An. Is Hue a must-see?

What's best in Ho Chi Minh?

For those who visited Sapa recently - did you take malaria meds or just use deet?
    Any recommendations for trains to Sapa?
    Thanks everyone!

#1 Posted: 1/1/2013 - 18:37

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

If you plan that out allowing for travel time I think you have a pretty tight fit. Lets say you arrive in morning Hanoi & depart Saigon in evening, then you're looking at something like this:

Day 1 morning arrive Hanoi
    Day 2 morning depart for Ha Long Bay, begin cruise & overnight on bay
    Day 3 finish cruise return to Hanoi, arriving most likely late afternoon, straight onto night train to Sapa
    Day 4 Sapa
    Day 5 day in Sapa, night train back to Hanoi
    Day 6 fly to Da Nang on morning flight, then minivan transfer to Hoi An
    Day 7 Hoi An
    Day 8 Hoi An
    Day 9 Hoi An
    Day 10 morning backtrack to Da Nang for flight to Ho Chi Minh City
    Day 11 Ho Chi Minh City
    Day 12 Ho Chi Minh City & evening depart

If you're not planning on flying Hanoi -> Da Nang and Da Nang -> Ho Chi Minh City then I don't think the above is feasible as the overland transport (train or bus) is slow and you'll spend the majority of your time in transit.

My advice would be, take a day off Hoi An and give it to Hanoi. There is no way you could fit Hue into the above as well :)

For Saigon attractions, take a look at the sights section on the Saigon Blog -- lots there, Hoi An blog here.

More questions, ask away!

#2 Posted: 1/1/2013 - 22:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.