Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Train Tickets

• dnev101

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2013

hi all,

Me and my girlfriend are in Vietnam mid Feb and we are looking for some advice on trains.
    we will be flying into hanoi on the 12th but want to get the train to hue on the 15th...........will the 12th be too late to book the overnight SE1 train and get seats together in softsleeper class? as i know it is a busy period.

I am in email contact with a hotel that I have reserved and they say they will arrange the train for me but say it will be between $54 and $57 each i thought that seemed a little expensive.

They also said this;

"I will try my best to get the seat the you prefer. Because it can not be confirmed by the agent now, so by the end of this month when the ticket agent feedback the confirmation so I definitely confirm to you"

Does this mean i will not be allocated a seat until the end of the month, and is there a chance they wont be together?

Is there a site i can use here in the UK before i leave to book train tickets? one that is reliable and not a scam. or is it a good idea to get the hotel to arrange tickets for me?

i used a site called cleartrip.com for trains in India and it was very simple. a site like that for Vietnamese trains would be great.

also how busy are the trains likely to be between 15th and 28th Feb as I will most probably need to book another 2.

If anybody can help us we will be very grateful :)

#1 Posted: 4/1/2013 - 11:13

• Advertisement

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi there,

You might be lucky and be able to get soft-sleeper on arrival - or you might not (especially since you're visiting not long after tet). To pre-book, you will have to use a local travel agent - and their fees add quite a lot to the cost. So whether you pre-book or not really depends on just how badly you want a soft sleeper.

For lots of info on how to book tickets and what sort of agent fees to expect, I'd recommend you check The Man in Seat 61 website (http://www.seat61.com/Vietnam.htm)

Hope that helps.

#2 Posted: 4/1/2013 - 13:23

• LolaNguyen

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi, train travel is expensive in Vietnam and prices vary depending on how booked up a train is upon booking. For your hotel to book your seats they send someone to the station as and when the seats are released, so its a bit hit and miss as to whether they will be high enough in the line to reserve two seats together, but they will try and if you are not together you should be in the same carriage - if this happens you have a couple of options, have a chat to fellow passengers and see if anyone would mind swapping or taking yourselves down to the restaurant carriage between snoozes so you can sit together and enjoy the views. Unless the two of you are glued at the hip (even if you are 14 hours plus on a cramped soft seat sleeper is a relationship test that I'd want to avoid so early on in my hols), it will be fine, you never know, you might meet some really interesting people! Don't worry part of the fun is often the unknown, embrace it and relax - a good all round guide to Vietnam in general.

#3 Posted: 4/1/2013 - 20:14

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Because of Tet, those train ticket prices are much higher than you would pay at other times of the year.

#4 Posted: 4/1/2013 - 22:00

• maryjame

Joined Travelfish
    14th January, 2013

Posted from within Vietnam.

Because of Tet holiday, train ticket prices are much higher than usually, your hotel answer "I will try my best to get the seat the you prefer. Because it can not be confirmed by the agent now, so by the end of this month when the ticket agent feedback the confirmation so I definitely confirm to you" is true, didn't lie. Because the agent usually sell firstly further ticket.
    Good luck to you!

#5 Posted: 14/1/2013 - 02:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
train tickets ... By Renee2383 on 26 Nov 2006 13 7453 1 Dec 2009
train tickets? ... By pirmelenge on 21 Sep 2013 7 937 21 Sep 2013
Train tickets in advance ... By Greatdixter on 20 Sep 2011 4 2068 20 Sep 2011
Train tickets in China ... By Timetotravel12 on 27 Apr 2014 4 587 4 May 2014
buying train tickets BKK ... By simo81cs on 12 Mar 2011 1 2785 12 Mar 2011
Train Tickets Thailand ... By steveo on 23 Oct 2010 2 2720 24 Oct 2010
Purchasing train tickets ... By Travel1221 on 8 Nov 2009 1 2709 8 Nov 2009
Vietnam Train TIckets ... By Lost_Vagabond on 23 Feb 2013 3 2040 25 Feb 2013