Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Bicycle Rental/Lockup

• StevenAM

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2013

Hi,

Now this may seem like a very stupid question to some, but in most of my travels so far I have used taxis/tours. I am wondering about the hiring of pushbikes while travelling through Vietnam (also Cambodia and Laos). It seems as if they are an awesome way to travel around and something I plan to do a fair bit. But the thing to me is no where explains how to keep them safe when you are visiting sites. Do the places you hire the bikes from usually supply locks or is this something that is important to buy at the start of the trip? I have also heard of some places that have people that look after them for a small fee.

I know it is pretty trivial but it might be useful to know.

Thanks,

Steve

#1 Posted: 8/1/2013 - 16:39

• Advertisement

• ThorntreeEx-
    ile

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2013

In Vietnam we often had to pay a small fee (a couple of thousand VND maybe) for an attendant to watch over our motorbike. Seemed a small price to pay to know the bike would still be there when we came back. Probably same for bikes. When we rented the motorbike, they gave us a big chainlock but we never used it. At night the guesthouse would drag the bike into the foyer for safe-keeping.

#2 Posted: 8/1/2013 - 18:04

• LolaNguyen

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Its relatively easy to hire push bikes in most tourist destinations in Vietnam for around a Dollar a day. In Hoi An they come with a little lock attached with a key and its a good idea to use it even if you leave your bike with an attendant. If it really concerns you, you can buy a chain and padlock from any market for a couple of Dollars to give you extra peace of mind. Cycling really is a great way to see Vietnam on motorbikes I'm usually too watchful of other motorists to notice a lot else. Do check your bike over when you hire it, brakes, dynamo, saddles and peddles when faulty can lead to a very uncomfortable days ride. Don't put your bags in the basket (they may get snatched), be careful at night and take water and sunscreen if its hot or you will bake.

#3 Posted: 9/1/2013 - 20:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.