Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Travel Guide Cost

• crafte

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2012

Hi,
    There is a group of 6 of us that are traveling SE asia (vietnam, cambodia, thailand) and we got quotes from travel agents that are helping with all accommodations which includes tour guides. We're planners and its our first trip so we feel more comfortable booking everything ahead of time even though many folks have told us to do it once you get there.

For a guides in each city throughout our trip, they quoted us a per person rate for a private guide. Is this normal as I would of thought it would have been per guide. For 6 people, 18 days, it was round 700 per person. This includes transportation to and from the sites and airports. So total is around 4K and that sounds like alot since they are doing it per person. Is this normal or can we find a place that would do a flat guide rate.

#1 Posted: 11/1/2013 - 21:18

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

You don't specify what currency you're talking here -- 4K US Dollars, Euros, Cambodian Riel, what?

I'm not too familiar with how these longer term travel companies work, but here in Bangkok all of the tour companies charge on a per person, per day basis, though that's generally all-inclusive. Based on what you wrote, it breaks down to $? 37 per day, per person. Is that only for the guide or does it include food, transport etc.? If it's only for the guide that is steep (depending on what the currency is).

#2 Posted: 11/1/2013 - 21:41

• crafte

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2012

@Dluek ... Thanks for the reply. Sorry its in USD. So its 700 USD per person. You are correct that if you break it down, its 37 dollars a day per person and that includes only the Guide and Transportation. Whats the typical cost of a tour guide and comfortable transportation for a group of 6.

Also we are using an Agent in Vietnam that is booking everything for us in all 3 countries ahead of time and I understand they need to make their money as well, but as you mentioned I thought it was expensive as well. We've reached out to a few agents and they came back with either alot more not that much far off.

#3 Posted: 12/1/2013 - 05:00

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

The price is more reasonable if it includes all of the transport (I assume a private van), particularly if the company is also organizing all logistics for the entire trip for you. But I'm only marginally familiar with this sort of thing.

I'm guessing you've already done this, but considering your whole trip will be determined by this company make sure you check them out thoroughly before paying any $.

#4 Posted: 12/1/2013 - 07:24

• LolaNguyen

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi, I used to do some work for a Vietnamese tour company and everything is worked out per person, they have giant tables of breakdown costs which confused the hell out of me and I spent months trying to work them out. Basically the cost of a guides daily rate (here in Hoi An) is approx $25 per day based on an eight hour day trip, over night tours and the price increases to cover the guides expenses. Hiring out transport to seat six plus a driver is the sting in the costing there. The companies tend to make their profits from booking you into hotels their agents sign up with (most being very good), they get a low rate and charge you the tourist rate, which is perfectly acceptable.
    If anything I'd just make sure the company organising your tour provides guides that can converse adequately in your language which should not be too much of an ask for a booking company as all their tour guides must by law be qualified.

#5 Posted: 16/1/2013 - 01:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
How much should a guide cost? ... By jesseroth on 16 Dec 2007 3 2499 17 Dec 2007
What does a good guide to Angkor cost? ... By Lisa on 27 Feb 2006 37 24792 14 Aug 2011
Phongsali or Muang Khua trek guide recommendations and cost? ... By drewdogy on 12 Apr 2013 0 648 12 Apr 2013