Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Fake ISIC card in Hanoi? Are there any?

• Lukepattison

Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'm going up through China and Russia and apparently students get BIG discounts!

Unfortunately I couldn't bring myself to treck over to Khao San when I was in Thailand - does anyone know of a place selling fake student cards in Hanoi?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 30/5/2007 - 15:23

• Advertisement

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Unlikely available here in VietNam.

China is the centre for forgery and pirating in this part of the world.

Mind you it might be inadviseable to use fake anything in China as a foreigner for the downside might cost more than paying the full freight.

#2 Posted: 30/5/2007 - 21:51

• Lukepattison

Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2007

Thanks for the reply, could you put this bit

>Mind you it might be inadviseable to use fake anything in China as a foreigner for the downside might cost more than paying the full freight.

in English? Cheers!

#3 Posted: 31/5/2007 - 08:25

• huevashon

Joined Travelfish
    31st May, 2007

Luke, It would appear from thier name, that the person who was kind enough to reply to your post (too lazy to walk to Khao San) may be Vietnamese, so unless you are prepared to learn and communicate in thier language you should be grateful for the reply you got! If you can't understand what CatBa wrote, boy are you going to struggle in China!!

#4 Posted: 31/5/2007 - 15:12

• Lukepattison

Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2007

Thanks Huevashon, Cat Ba is actually an island close to Hanoi. I've been living in China for 4 years and as I speak Chinese am not too woried about that. I'm actually just looking for an ISIC card before I start travelling through China again. Do you have anything useful to say?

#5 Posted: 31/5/2007 - 17:12

• withshoeson

Joined Travelfish
    31st March, 2007
    Total reviews: 3

what catba was saying is that you may aswell pay the full fare (not student). because if you are caught with a fake card, it could cost you more than the savings you made with the card.

the entrance fees(in china atleast) are cheap enough, just pay them.

#6 Posted: 31/5/2007 - 18:20

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Hi Luke:
    I was trying to avoid sounding like a curmudgeon. WithShoesOn interpretation is correct.

As a guest, i.e. not a citizen, you are seeking to abuse your hosts, i.e. China, by cheating them using a fraudulent document.

Ignoring the moral concerns, stealing (fraud) in a semi-hostile environment like China is unwise (dumb) as if you were caught you would endanger your chances of getting another visa and would likely have some computer trail following you around elsewhere.

As a Foreigner you are wealthier than many Chinese so why not pay what you are supposed to pay? Leaves a good impression, as well.

Remember others will follow you and any inconsiderate actions on your part might make things harder.

#7 Posted: 31/5/2007 - 20:59

• Lukepattison

Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2007

Thanks for the moral advice guys, am much humbled!

Does that mean that I can't get hold of one? I'm also going through Russia where you also get big discounts if you're a student.

I've been traveling for 4 years, was a student when I left the UK and will be a student when I go back, not that I'm seeking to justify my heinously imorral actions. You can understand that I'm on a budget!

#8 Posted: 2/6/2007 - 16:57

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Luke, if you can't afford to travel then I suggest you go home. I don't think this forum should aid you in stealing, because this IS what you are doing. I totally agree with the other posters here.

#9 Posted: 3/6/2007 - 11:39

• huevashon

Joined Travelfish
    31st May, 2007

Thanks for backing me up guys! What a can of worms lol.

#10 Posted: 3/6/2007 - 15:51

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Is an ISIC or student travel card worth it? ... By Drapes1 on 17 Jan 2010 2 5661 1 May 2011