Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

6 Week itinerary for Vietnam, Laos & Cambodia

• langleym1

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Hi, im flying to Hanoi on 8th August and flying home from SGN on 20th September, which is 6 weeks in total.

Im wondering about itinerary. I was thinking:

land in hanoi, go to ha long bay, bus to luang prabang, vang vieng, vientiene and back to hanoi or straight to Hue.

Then from hue to ho chi minh stopping off at all the nice places along the way.

then bus from ho chi minh to phnom penh and siem reap and back to ho chi minh to fly back home.

Is this a feasible route for 6 weeks? or should i cut it down a bit? or perhaps consider just doing 2 of the 3 countries?

#1 Posted: 12/1/2013 - 12:20

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

You'll be going in-and-out of Vietnam 3 times with that plan, and they've got the most troublesome visa set-up, so keep that in mind. If you certainly want to do the Laos part of the trip - consider taking the bus down from Vientiane to Savannakhet so you don't have to double back all the way to Hanoi - that would be a pain.

If you spend 2 weeks between Hanoi and Hue (through Laos) you get about 2 nights in each location you've laid out as you'll spend a whole day getting to Luang Prabang and then getting from Vientinne to Savannakhet. One way to speed up your trip though would be to hit Hue-Danang-Hoi'an (1 week) then fly to HCMC and do a few nights there and in the Delta, skipping out out on the usual stops of Nah Trang and Da Lat. Then you've got roughly 2 weeks for PP, Siem Reap and some time on the beaches of Cambodia (or fly to Phu Quoc island in Vietnam since you've got to go back to HCMC anyway) to end with some relaxing. It is a pretty fast paced journey, but I highly recommend Laos, and if you're looking to see all 3 countries it isn't a bad route.

#2 Posted: 12/1/2013 - 20:59

• SoloHobo

Joined Travelfish
    12th January, 2013

You will need a double entry/exit VN Visa regardless of your plans-

There is no easy way to do Laos and Cambodia and get VN Central too...lot of time on transport, even flying has its limitations but would help, maybe Hanoi area to Hue.Hoi An, then fly back to Hanoi and fly to Luang Prabang, then start overaland to Saigon...

#3 Posted: 13/1/2013 - 06:40

• Biabc

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2013

How to get from ho ain to Hue?
    Their is Any way to go from hoai by carro turistc bus?

#4 Posted: 14/1/2013 - 19:55

• maryjame

Joined Travelfish
    14th January, 2013

Posted from within Vietnam.

6 weeks are enough for you go through 3 countries (Vietnam, Lao, Cambodia). And I agree with Caseyprich, you'll be going in-and-out of Vietnam 3 times with that plan, that is not necessary. You can go:
    - Hanoi - Halong - Hanoi (by bus)
    Hanoi - Sapa - Hanoi (by train)
    Hanoi - Danang (by train). Danang - Hue - Hoian (by bus)
    You can spent 2 weeks for Hanoi - Halong - Sapa - Danang - Hue - Hoian - Danang.
    - Danang - Vientiane (by bus) or Hue - Vietiane. Departure at 9h am arrive at 5h am
    Vientiane - LuangPrabang (by bus or Vip bus), the price around 120.000LAK departure at 8am, 9am, 20pm... It take 10 hours.
    10 days in Lao
    - Luangprabang - SiemRiep (by airplane)
    SiemRiep - PhnomPenh
    1 week in SiemRiep - PhnomPenh
    - PhnomPenh - HCM (by bus or you can take tour Mekong Delta cruise
    HCM - NhaTrang - MuiNe (by bus, by train)
    HCM - Mekong Delta - Phuquoc by motorbike and ferry.
    Enjoy Vietnam, Lao, Campuchia!

#5 Posted: 17/1/2013 - 22:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos 3 week itinerary ... By fionoula on 23 Oct 2009 1 3883 24 Oct 2009
Help on my 5 week itinerary: Thailand, Laos, Cambodia (Vietnam) ... By snowowl on 22 Feb 2010 3 2827 23 Feb 2010
Help on my 5 week itinerary: Thailand, Laos, Cambodia (Vietnam) ... By snowowl on 22 Feb 2010 2 4091 26 Feb 2010
Help on my five week itinerary through Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia ... By nateyu on 19 Nov 2007 9 5921 20 Dec 2010
Itinerary Help: 1 week in Laos and Cambodia ... By melig on 22 Mar 2013 4 1297 24 Mar 2013
Itinerary Help: 1 week in Laos and Cambodia ... By melig on 22 Mar 2013 2 1618 23 Mar 2013
3 week itinerary - Bangkok, Laos and Cambodia ... By corion on 18 Nov 2013 3 1174 22 Nov 2013
Thailand/Laos/Cambodia 6 week itinerary ... By pascal1980 on 31 Dec 2011 16 6143 2 Nov 2012
3 week itinerary - Bangkok, Laos and Cambodia ... By corion on 18 Nov 2013 3 1459 29 Nov 2013
itinerary advise for one week in northeastern cambodia to laos ... By malaysiangirl on 15 Dec 2010 4 3064 2 Jan 2011