Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Mekong cycling question

• Pghtraveller

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2013

I'd like to explore the Mekong delta independently and I'm looking for some help. First off, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a company that offers a service where I can rent a bike in HCMC and drop it off in Rach Gia or Ha Tien (I'll be continuing on to Cambodia after)?

Second, can anyone send a link to a map with a route they've followed?

Last, I'd also consider hiring a private guide for the trip. Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks so much for the help!

#1 Posted: 16/1/2013 - 12:13

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I did this trip in early December, there is a map up top. Was a fun trip - close to zero tourists.

In answer to your questions:

1) No. Though you could try Saigon Scooter Centre as they allow drop offs to the north.

2) Can't recommend a guide, though any travel agency in Saigon will be able to assist.

Legally you need a Viet motorbike licence to ride in Vietnam and your travel insurance most likely will not cover you without one. We did the trip unlicensed.

Some shops will not rent you a bike if heading to the Delta - we had to try a few. They also went a hefty deposit (US$700ish) or a passport for the bike.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 16/1/2013 - 17:17

• robinwhite

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2013

It is very hard to find any agency who will allow and give you bike to heading towards the Delta. Its sounds like impossible. I tried but failed.

#3 Posted: 22/1/2013 - 16:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.