Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Phu quoc or Sihanoukville

• bascanvas

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2011

Hi,

Me and wife are going on a trip to SE Asia, and will among others, travel to Vietnam and Cambodia. As we both love the beach we want to put in some R&R from time to time. We have a pretty good idea of our basic itinerary but have one lingering bit we can't seem to decide. Wether to go to Phu Quoc (from HCMC) and then onwards to Kampot and PP, or travel to Sihanoukville (Koh Rong) from HCMC via PP and Kampot.

We don't want to do both because they will be to close after another on the trip. And as we are nearing the feared 40 years we don't care much about partying, we do like to have a beer with other travellers though.

Can you give me some insight of which you like best and why? We expect to be in the area around mid April, or at the latest early May.

Thanks in advance

Bas

#1 Posted: 22/1/2013 - 06:27

• Advertisement

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

I staid one week at Mai Phung Resort on Phu Quoc and it was wonderfull. No crowd, good food, nice staff and great swimming and beaches. But that was in 2010.
    Bungalows were OK, no AC but fan, but that might have changed today. Only hassle is to get to Phu Quoc but with SV it is the same.

If you want to get away from the crowd, avoid long beach, the north is so beautiful :-)

Can't say anything concerning SV, haven't been there before, sorry.

#2 Posted: 22/1/2013 - 10:33

• LolaNguyen

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Both beautiful islands, both at the end of April/early may just about to go in to rainy season (which means you could be lucky and have fantastic weather or it may be awful - the seasons have been all over the place for the last couple of years).
    If Kampot is a must (which it should be its my favourite place in Cambodia) why don't you start there and then decide as you don't need a visa to go to Phu Quoc from Cambodia unless you plan to spend more than a week there.
    Koh Rong is cheaper than Phu Quoc, but more basic, if you do get some rain you'd probably be better off on Phu Quoc as its a bigger island and there is more to do.

#3 Posted: 28/1/2013 - 01:04

• bascanvas

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2011

Hi Lola,

can you explain to me how we don't need a Visa to go to Phu Quoc from within Cambodia as i can't find any direct ways to and from Phu Quoc from Cambodia. But is is not to practical for us to travel from Kampot as we are coming from north VN. But we do want to travel to Kep and Kampot so if there are boats straight from PQ to Cambodia i would love to hear from it.

We have pretty much decided on Phu Qouc, weather permitting of course and will decide when we arrive in HCMC if the weather is good enough.

Bas

#4 Posted: 28/1/2013 - 02:44

• LolaNguyen

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Here you go!
    http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/cambodia/2012/01/13/how-to-get-from-phnom-penh-to-phu-quoc-island/

#5 Posted: 28/1/2013 - 03:15

• dj_gomas

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2013

We have just made the trip from Kampot and are currently enjoying lovely Phu Quoc island. As far as I'm aware there wasn't any direct way to go from Kampot to Phu Quoc, but the ride to Ha Tien is quick and easy. You can buy mini bus tickets for the whole thing in Kampot town and it takes about 3.5 hours allowing for time crossing the border. We were skeptical about the prices quoted for the ferry in Kampot, so we made our own arrangements once in Ha Tien, but in fact, the prices all the way to PQ were cheaper in Kampot, so that's the way to do it. The route is well outlined in the link posted by Lola.

As with any asian border crossing, the officials will try to get money from you, however it happens, just shrug and don't pay. There are no official extra fees and the officials don't even ask with much conviction.

PQ itself is great, there is masses of road construction going on, and lots of hotels etc.. but they are mostly empty. Long Beach where the majority of the hotels are isn't even crowded and its high season right now. Get a moto and head to the beaches up north and you will be the only one there besides the local fishermen/ kids hanging around. It is clear that all this will change within the next few years with the airport and road development going on, so enjoy it while you can!

#6 Posted: 29/1/2013 - 06:33

• mearosa

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2013

I recently saw a post by someone either here or on Thorntree that there is no longer visa-free travel between Cambodia and Ha Tien / Phu Quoc.... Did you see any indication of that? Anyone know anything? I'm planning on going out over Khmer New Year, but was hoping to do so visa-free. Thanks!

#7 Posted: 22/3/2013 - 21:14

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

The economic free zone has been closed. You will need a visa to travel to Phu Quoc and that old information should be deleted/corrected in the visa & border thread. For two years it was possible to travel without visa to Phu Quoc. NOT ANYMORE since january.

Get a visa

#8 Posted: 22/3/2013 - 21:55

• Stuke50

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2013
    Location Canada

Anybody know if there is a ferry going from Sihnoukville to Trat ?

#9 Posted: 27/4/2013 - 09:34

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

No. There used to be one from there to Koh Kong. The only way now is by bus via Koh Kong.

#10 Posted: 27/4/2013 - 10:03

• Advertisement

• Stuke50

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2013
    Location Canada

Also curious....Is there a ferry from Phu Quoc to Sihounkville ?

#11 Posted: 27/4/2013 - 12:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
How to go to Phu Quoc from Sihanoukville? ... By pdropl on 26 Oct 2013 4 731 27 Oct 2013
Phu Quoc to Sihanoukville ... By csawala on 16 May 2011 3 7134 25 May 2011