Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Dalat or Mui Ne

• AmandaJordan

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2007
    Total reviews: 3

Posted from within Vietnam.

I am in Saigon and will be heading north in a day or 2. Still deciding between dalat and mui ne before heading to nha trang. Don't have time to go to both mui ne and dalat. Heard right now wasn't the ideal season for kite surfing or wind surfing and am not really the type to just lounge on the beach. Has anyone been at mui ne in june or recently? What was the weather like? Also was interested in the hardy dalat canyoning tours in dalat. Has anyone used this company? Any opinions on which place is a more worthwhile stop would be very much appreciated.

Also any good recommendations on companies for the open buses?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 3/6/2007 - 20:54

• Advertisement

• ernieh

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Hi Amanda,

If you are under time constraints I would pass on Mui Ne and go straight to Dalat to do some canoying, mtn. biking or trekking. If you are heading to Hanoi you will see some nice beaches in Nha Trang and Hoi An on the way.

I was in Dalat last week and the weather was nice and sunny. A little cooler than HMC.

Their are many open bus tour comapnies that operate in Ho Chi Minh city.

Open Bus Tour Companies

Sinh Cafe and Kim's Cafe offer the open bus ticket from HMC-Dalat-Nha Trang-Hoi An-Hue and Hanoi for $25.
    An Phu is the second cheapest and offers the same for $17.
    Orient Star is the cheapest at $16 (You can book at STA Travel located on 230 De Tham Street in District 1, HMC)
    I picked Sinh Cafe because they are the most reputable.

Hotel Recommendations:

Dalat
    Dreams Hotel, 151 & 164 B Phan Dinh Phung Street
    E-mail:dreams@hcm.vnn.vn
    Tel: 8463 833748 - 822981

A single room with TV and ensuite bathroom is $10 and includes free internet and a very good breakfast. The owner is the nicest lady you will ever meet.

Hardy Dalat Adventure Sports is located at 57 Troung
    Cong Dinh Street (5 minute walk from Dreams Hotel)www.hardyadveturetours.net
    E-mail: hardydl@hcm.vnn.vn

Recommended by Lonely Planet, Rough Guide and me
    They offer 1 and 2 day treks, canoying, mtn. biking and combined tours of biking, trekking and absailing. Canoying trips are $18 or $22 depending on what program you pick.

Enjoy your time in Dalat!

Ernie

#2 Posted: 3/6/2007 - 22:48

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

I recommend you skip Mui Ne if you are heading to Nha Trang.

I confirm Dreams in Da Lat (they now have a sister hotel for back-up that is as equally good).

As for buses I ONLY RECOMMEND SINH and AN PHU - as they maintain their buses to a reasonable level and have decent tires.

AVOID, like the plague, T.M. BROTHERS and their partners CAMEL - frequently have worn tires have been photographed on these buses.

Trekking Travel and Hanh buses LACK MAINTENANCE - look out for Trekking bus 14LD0128, the back window on the drivers side has been broken for 2 MONTHS - now Hanh has a bus in similar condition.

As for guides I recommend Frommers (new edition) or RoughGuide - LP is history although they had a stringer hitting the hotspots for a quickie update. The guy spent 2 days in Hue - a recent tourism research project I have been involved in has taken 29 months footwork in the greater Hue area.

When you get to NHA TRANG check out:
    Nha Nghi BA TU (Room 203)
    34-G1 Nguyen Thien Thuat Street
    058-522-466 / 0905-369-867

In HUE check out:
    Nguyen Tri Phuong Hotel
    56 Nguyen Tri Phuong, Hue
    Tel: 054-829-282
    E-m: NguyenTriPhuongHotel@yahoo.com.vn

#3 Posted: 3/6/2007 - 23:51

• samsam

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2007

Dalat is better. I've been to both in June. Dalat was very pleasant. MuiNe can be described in 3 words - hot, humid, rubbish.

#4 Posted: 4/6/2007 - 02:47

• neek

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2010

The Dreams Hotel number seems to have changed.. I just called +84633633748 successfully. Called at 9:50am Vietnam time, spoke with an older lady who spoke perfectly good English.

#5 Posted: 9/4/2010 - 09:52

• stillgoing

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2010

Hi all,
    If you fancy of beach holiday, go to Mui ne. Some open tour have bus trip to Mui ne EVERY DAY, you just turn up in their office and check for the bus in the next day. Dont need to book in advance.
    If you fancy of mountain driving, go to Dalat, some of mountain passes in Dalat is stunning. And enjoy the cool weather after some hot days in Saigon.
    Good luck

#6 Posted: 11/4/2010 - 12:28

• lexkssnbrg

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2009

In your shoes, I would spend a few days in Mui Ne. We were there in last Aug and loved the beach and the sand dunes.

#7 Posted: 12/4/2010 - 11:02

• oscarcat

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2008
    Location Cambodia

+100 to Dreams hotel bang for buck may be the greatest little hotel in the whole of SEA.

#8 Posted: 2/5/2012 - 21:23

• Alain2012

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2012

Hi AmandaJordan,

I find out the travel information of Mui Ne here http://www.vietnamhoneymoon.com/destinations/southern/mui-ne.html and Dalat here http://www.vietnamhoneymoon.com/destinations/southern/da-lat.html

Enjoy your vacation in Vietnam !

#9 Posted: 3/5/2012 - 01:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.