Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Proof of ongoing travel

  • Cloudcatcher

    Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2013
    Posts: 3


    I'm going to be travelling South East Asia for a few months. I have a ticket in to Vietnam, and a ticket out of Thailand some months later. However for my Vietnamese visa the embassy wants proof that I will be leaving Vietnam within 30 days. Do I have to book buses in advance? Any advice on how to go about this?

    Thanks so much

    #1 Posted: 24/1/2013 - 09:40

  • Advertisement

  • busylizzy

    Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Posts: 2155
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

    I suspect that they won't accept a bus ticket as the proof - but did you ask them?

    Also - it may be that if you show an itinerary (just type one up - make it up if you need to) that shows that you plan leaving in 30 days, and presumably on through Cambodia or Laos and into Thailand - and then have your Thai flight out, they just let you get away with that. Otherwise, the plan might be to either get a cheap throw-away ticket out, or a higher-priced but fully refundable ticket.

    Alternatively, you can forget about getting the visa at the embassy, and instead get a 'visa on arrival' through a site like this one: http://www.myvietnamvisa.com/ You pay $20 or so, get a 'pre-approval' letter that you print out and show at the airport, and they give you the visa when you arrive (for another $20-25, although I think I read that this is going up to $40 or so).

    Plenty of info on this site about the Vietnam pre-approval letters - search around the forum for more info.

    #2 Posted: 24/1/2013 - 13:04

  • daawgon

    Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Posts: 1065
    Total reviews: 2

    Go with Lizzy's suggestion for the VOA - no one ever asked me for proof of onward travel when I've used it (5 times)

    The stamping fee is indeed now $45. since Jan 1st.

    #3 Posted: 25/1/2013 - 21:38

  • doctorhands

    Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2013
    Posts: 1

    I'm surprised they asked for proof. I just applied last week for a 3 month visa and got it without any problems

    #4 Posted: 26/1/2013 - 00:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee