Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Motorbike Groups for girl on her own

• emma773

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Hi Everyone,

I am travelling from Hanoi to Saigon in March over only 2 weeks. I am planning to travel mainly by train, but would like to travel (on the back of) a motorbike for at least a small part of my journey. I am very roughly (haven't decided yet) thinking on - Hanoi, Hoi An, Nha Trang, Mui Ne, then Saigon. Does anyone have any suggestions of a start/end point for maybe a 1-2day motorbike tour? Also recommend any groups? I would like to go with other people which may be quite difficult to find? ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much,
    Emma

#1 Posted: 29/1/2013 - 10:30

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I spent 9 days on the back of a bike from Dalat to HCMC and then down into the Mekong Delta - and can say that it was truly one of the best experiences that I had while travelling. (I have written about it in the past on the forums so you may find some old posts). I was travelling with a friend at the time so we had two bikes, but I seriously would have no hesitation on going back and doing it on my own with a guide.

If you were wanting to go to Dalat (central highlands) I could recommend the guy that I used. I actually gave his details to a woman that I corresponded with here in NZ, then met up with her afterwards and she was very happy with how it turned out. You will find guys from EasyRiders lurking around the place - Dalat, Hoi An - and I'm sure in the other towns. The 'genuine' EasyRiders have the black and blue jackets. I'm sure that there other good groups around as well - but what I like about the ER's is that they have standards that their riders are supposed to conform to. We ran into other motorbike guides that were out drinking big-time with their riders at night - and I wouldn't want to entrust my life to someone with a hangover the next morning on Vietnam roads! ER's don't allow that (in theory, anyhow).

If you find someone you're interested in hiring, take the time to have a cup of coffee with them first and ask them questions (like a job interview!). You need reassurance that you've found someone that you will want to spend a few days with and that you will feel safe with. And then you can ask him if his fellow-riders have any planned trips to the same area that you are going to... maybe you join some others.

Whatever you end up doing - enjoy!

#2 Posted: 29/1/2013 - 13:47

• Sightandtas-
    te

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2013

Hey Emma. I'd be interested in doing this as well. What are your dates?

#3 Posted: 29/1/2013 - 18:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.