Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Price train to sapa

• bascanvas

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2011

Hi,

i was wondering if anyone can give me a good price indication for one of the soft sleeper trains from Hanou to Sapa when booked through one of the many travelagents in Hanoi or when booked directly at the train station?

When i look at the online booking options i can't help but think it's way to expensive.

Thanks in advance
    Bas

#1 Posted: 4/2/2013 - 08:44

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

There are several classes of travel - how comfortable do you want it to be? Most travelers opt for the private carriage service which must be booked through private agencies. You can save by using less expensive soft sleeper or hard seat - book through either an agent or the station. Hanoi station (use the rear Station B for Lao Cai) is somewhat of a zoo with all the guys trying to make a buck off of tourists - they grab your bags, carry them to the train, and then demand payment. Use an agent and you will make out far better. I've used both Livitrans and King Express - comfortable and clean.

#2 Posted: 5/2/2013 - 12:38

• stoneman

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 9

Have you checked out seat61.com

#3 Posted: 9/2/2013 - 02:45

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

From an agent, around $76 return for the private carriages, a bit less for standard sleeper. Prices on this site are relatively up to date for buying at the station, but that's tricky to do.

#4 Posted: 9/2/2013 - 05:33

• bascanvas

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2011

Thanks for the responses,

we have been trying to decide if we go to Sapa independant or on a tour, as it is at the very beginning of our 5 month trip we we're thinking to ease ourselves into our trip, Seeing these prices for just the train don't differ much from the price our hotel quoted for a 3d/4n trip incl acc, and hiking this sounds like a good deal so maybe a tour is the way to go. Or would you recommend going there independant for about 4 days?

#5 Posted: 9/2/2013 - 06:20

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

To do it yourself, in a standard soft sleeper (booked through an agent) and basic but decent hotel, for two people you're looking at $140 + $40 (hotel) + $12 (bus) + $30 (trek) + $6 (transport to station in Hanoi) = $228 for two people plus food and drink. I don't know exactly what price you've been quoted, but given the soft sleeper, booked at the station is about $60 each return (hard sleeper from about $35 to $50), and the agent has to add hotel, transfers and trek onto that, if they're charging less than $80 I'd check the details of the train class and accommodation class carefully.

I'm a fan of self-organised travel but nothing wrong with doing an organized tour if you want to not have to worry about planning anything - plus it's an easy way to meet other travelers.

#6 Posted: 10/2/2013 - 20:30

• bascanvas

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2011

I was quoted $ 119 pp (incl Bac Ha market) and $ 106 (without Bac Ha) for a 3d/4n trip by e-mail from one of the most respected tour company in VN (according to many ppl) incl soft sleeper, acc (don't know which hotel) and treks (incl 2d/1n with homestay.

I'll just bring my email to Hanoi and check with them directly to sort out details and then decide if we do it on our own or organised.

Thx for all the info.

#7 Posted: 13/2/2013 - 03:30

• conandoll

Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2013

The price to go from Ha Noi to Lao Cai ranges from USD 6 to USD 20/person.

#8 Posted: 22/11/2013 - 02:08

• Hongety

Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2013

The price of train depends on category of seat that you wantto book. I suggest you book in advance to choose the best seat for you

#9 Posted: 22/11/2013 - 22:00

• rosemariela-
    ca

Joined Travelfish
    24th November, 2013

Hi, the cost of train ticket with a soft sleeper from Hanoi to Sapa is just around USD 30 to USD 40. It will be cheaper if you book in advance. You can contact with any travel agent tp help you book a train ticket.

#10 Posted: 24/11/2013 - 22:00

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Time/Price between Bangkok a/p and Train Station ... By erinj on 27 Aug 2007 2 1846 27 Aug 2007