Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

heading to ha giang from halong bay city?

• melmariet

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hello! I'm trying to make my way north to the mysterious ha giang province. Im a tea geek, hoping to see some tea plantations and minority cultures. I was hoping to get some advice about routes and itinerary in this less travelled area. We are two women, looking to independently explore;
    we were thinking..
    Halong city / hanoi - ha giang - meo vac - to dong van- bac ha - Hanoi

Questions, do we need to go back to Hanoi from Cia rong? ( where I am today)

Does this route sound feasible? we have about two weeks exactly today. We were hoping to do a combination of small motorbike day trips and public transport.

Any budget ideas for any of the transport routes? Any advice or help would be great, finding up to date info online seems hard to come by!

#1 Posted: 16/2/2013 - 01:54

• Advertisement

• UsTwo

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2010

Do you particularly want to see HaLong after Cai Rong? If not, then you could do the trip backwards, north from Cai Rong to Lang Son through Tien Yen. Continue north to Cao Bang, west to Tinh Tuc, then north to Meo Vac That's where the scenery, and riding, become really breathtaking. Travel north to Dong Van then on to Yen Minh, and finally Ha Giang.
    You will need a permit for the Meo Vac / Ha Giang section, not sure where you will get it in Meo Vac. I got mine in Ha Giang, from the Immigration dept., cost 220,000d
    If you want any detail, let's know.

#2 Posted: 16/2/2013 - 03:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.