Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Hanoi-Hue-Hoi An in one day?

• dwbpnm

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2013

My wife and I will be in Vietnam in April and are planning on travelling to Hoi An after a few days in Hanoi. We'd like to visit the Imperial city in Hue . Is it possible to do the O/N train to Hue, tour the Imperial city, a couple tombs, and then continue on to Hoi An while it's still light out for the bus/car/train ride through the Hai Van pass? I know it'd be a hectic day but we're generally pretty quick at seeing sights and will have the next day to relax on the beach in Hoi An. Is it workable? If so, would you recommend continuing to Hoi An via bus, hiring a car all the way to Hoi An, or a train to Da Nang+hired car from the train station to Hoi An. Is there somewhere near the Hue train station to store our luggage while we tour Hue?

Any input would be much appreciated!

#1 Posted: 18/2/2013 - 09:30

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Impossible! That's a 2-day trip minimum - take the train/car from Hue to Danang (good views not possible from a bus since it uses the tunnel).

#2 Posted: 18/2/2013 - 13:45

• Mexi736

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2013

Optiontown.com is providing upgrade to business class services with Vietnam airlines. Has anybody have used their services.

#3 Posted: 18/2/2013 - 23:17

• LolaNguyen

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

If you flew down to Hue from Ha Noi (early) you'd have half a day in Hue aiming to get the Hue to Da Nang train by about 14.30 from which you will see bits of the Hai Van Pass whilst its still light. -http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/vietnam/2012/08/25/da-nang-to-hue-by-train/
    You'd arrive in Da Nang around 18.00, so you would be better off getting a taxi from the station to your hotel in Hoi An (about 40 mins) in time for dinner! Perfectly possible.

#4 Posted: 19/2/2013 - 00:15

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I'd agree with Lola about flying from Hanoi to Hue . Mind you, given your rapid pace, I'd question why even bother with Hue in the first place? It's an OK-interesting place to stop if you have the luxury of time, but I wouldn't recommend it as one of the best places to go. I'd say fly direct from Hanoi to Danang, then bus/taxi to Hoi An. Cut out all the time spent in buses/trains/waiting time - and spend some quality time in Hoi An. Seriously, do not under-estimate the travel times in Vietnam.

#5 Posted: 19/2/2013 - 02:49

• PhiMeow

Click here to learn more about PhiMeow
    Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2013

Seriously, do not under-estimate the travel times in Vietnam.
    Yeah - just look at the name of the train Unification Express - nothing express about the train at all.

OP - If you are short on time, skip Hue. It's nice enough but I think your time is better spent at Hoi An.

#6 Posted: 19/2/2013 - 05:21

• LolaNguyen

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2012

Just over an hours flight from Ha Noi to Hue . A four hour train ride (and one of the most beautiful in Vietnam) from Hue to Da Nang and several half hour transfers between airport, train and cities. Its really not an excessive amount of time travelling and taking in to consideration almost all Hue's best attractions are either within or just outside of the citadel walls it would be a shame to miss it. Hue gets some bad press, but its a very interesting stop for anyone interested in seeing some of Vietnam's history. If your flight got in at around 08.00 you'd have plenty of time to do see a big part of it (do your research prior to arrival) and to even spoil yourselves with a leisurely lunch before you have to catch your train. I'd go just for lunch at Le Jardin De Carambole given half the chance.

#7 Posted: 19/2/2013 - 05:41

• GilbertMcDo-
    nald

Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 43

I would fly on to Hue in the morning and see the sights, there's lots of history in Hue it would be a shame to miss it. Then the next day hire a car to take you to Hoi an over the pass through Da nang.
    We did just that in 2011 and had a great time.

#8 Posted: 19/2/2013 - 20:58

• tf_geckozy

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2008

I'll show another option different from other posters.

Both of day bus and train from Ha Noi to Hue is very dull and waist of your time so please take open bus(sleeper bus) from Ha Noi to Hue that departs at around 19:00pm & day bus from Hue to Hoi An next day 2 times abondoning your hoping passing through Hai Van Pass this time..

*Take open bus from Ha Noi to Hue,
    *and it departs from Ha Noi at around 19:00pm
    *and arrives tour office at Hue that organized your open bus at around 09:00am next morning
    *and then participate into a City tour(if possible, half day tour, and if not possible, one day tour and abondon half of the programmes) or charter motor-bike taxis for visiting Imperial city--King Palce and some toumbs you want to visit
    *and before starting your tour, you can deposit(left) your luggeges at your tour office with no paying if you book a City tour or their open bus to Hoi An
    *and while you are visiting some spots, cut your tour programmes remaining for fitting with your open bus's departure time to Hoi An(maybe 13:00pm) .
    *For returning to your tour office, you can take motor-bike taxi(Xe-o'm) from some place(? toumb)
    *and you are saying "good bye" to your tour guide and other unknown fellow guests of your tour if you participate a City tour.
    As for passing through Hai Van Pass is normally impossible without charter a car to Danang or Hoi An now.
    As for open bus from Ha Noi(sleeper bus)---if you are big sized western travelers, The Sinh Tourist's sleeper bus is better and comfortable for your good sleeping with its structure and streching your legs.
    "The Sinh Tourist" never equals to many other "real Sinh Cafe"s(=copy) and some are almost "gang tour desk" when a trouble or an accident occurs unexpectedly so please never mix and confuse former "The Sinh Tourist" with latter "real Sinh Cafe"though there are so many "real Sinh Cafe" at Old Quarter area in Ha Noi.

The Sinh Tourist
    https://www.thesinhtourist.vn/
    Ha Noi office
    Office 1--(locates at rel center of Old Quarter area)
    52 Luong Ngoc Quyen St.,
    Hoan Kiem District, Ha Noi Capital
    Tel: +84.4.39261568
    Fax: +84.4.39261621
    Email: hanoi@thesinhtourist.vn
    Office 2
    64 Tran Nhat Duat St., Ha Noi Capital
    Tel: +84.4.39290394
    Fax: +84.4.39290395
    Hue office
    Office 1
    12 Hung Vuong St., Hue City
    Tel: +84.54.3845022
    Fax: +84.54.3826867
    Email: hue@thesinhtourist.vn
    Office 2--(open bus from Ha Noi arrives here and you can book City tour here too)
    48 Nguyen Tri Phuong St.,
    Hue City
    Tel: +84.54.3848626
    Fax: +84.54.3826867

#9 Posted: 20/2/2013 - 10:23

• dwbpnm

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2013

Thanks for everyone's responses. I'm planning on us having 4 nights/5 days in the Hoi An area and since we'd be going right by Hue it seemed a shame not to stop and at least have a look around for half a day before continuing on to Hoi An. I've looked into flying from Hanoi to Hue. The website for vietnam airlines shows no available flights on the day we'd need it. Does Vietnam Airlines fly that route only on certain days? Does anyone else fly Hanoi-Hue? I can fly to Da Nang but then I'd be inclined to follow busylizzy's advice and skip Hue rather than backtrack up the coast.

#10 Posted: 20/2/2013 - 21:57

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Try Jetstar - not sure if they do that route, but they do fly in Vietnam. It's not an airline that I'd normally recommend, but desperate times may call for desperate measures!

#11 Posted: 20/2/2013 - 22:19

• LolaNguyen

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2012

Vietnam Airlines are the only carrier that does that route so unless there are any agencies that have seats in stock (which is worth a try), you may have to settle on flying in to Da Nang. At least from Hoi An the Hai Van Pass is a day trip so you will still be able to do that.

#12 Posted: 20/2/2013 - 23:17

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11

I just saw a notice that Hue airport is closed March to November 2013 so that would account for the lack of flights. Since you have a good few days in Hoi An , if you're really keen on Hue why not spend a day and a night there? Then you could consider taking the train to Hue and travel down to Hoi An the day after.

#13 Posted: 21/2/2013 - 20:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.