Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

July 2013 - Phu Quoc or Mui Ne?

• Ross81

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2013

We will be travelling around Vietnam for 3 weeks in July. We want to have a few days at the end relaxing on a beach and can't decide between Phu Quoc or Mui Ne. My instincts tell me to go to Phu Quoc but I know it is the rainy season so I wondered if it would be worth going to or would the weather be slightly better in Mui Ne?
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

#1 Posted: 20/2/2013 - 12:48

• Advertisement

• Benno

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012

Hi Ross81,
    In my opinion Phu Quoc is overrated at this stage of its life.
    I went there in November 2012 and was left a little disappointed. The pictures are great, the reality is (or I should say...was not) great. The beach on the east side (cant remember the name) was disgusting and un swimmable. The beach on the west coast was nice, but there was a lot of jellyfish in the water. Even swimming in the nets a few snuck through. The water was warm bath warm and not very refreshing.
    The island has potential but really needs investment - you will see that there is investment going on but when the main road it mostly mud, you have issues.
    I wouldn't go to Phu Quoc especially in the rainy season as you will be limited to your hotel or the area where you are staying as the roads are likely to be washed away.
    This is only my experience and I'm sure there are plenty of happy stories, if you are a couple and want a quiet island to relax and unwind, then go but if you want to venture, you might come back a bit un satisfied.

Hopefully in about 5 years things will have improved.

#2 Posted: 21/2/2013 - 02:44

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I just got back from Phu Quoc and loved it! But I get where you're coming from Benno. I've also been to Mui Ne and in my view there are a lot of similarities. It's also rainy season in Mui Ne in July, though perhaps it's not as extreme as in Phu Quoc - but I'm not sure. Given the similarities it's worth thinking about how you'll get there (where are you coming from?) and the costs to help make your decision.

#3 Posted: 21/2/2013 - 03:44

• Ross81

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2013

Thanks for the info.
    We will be coming from Hanoi so it will be either a flight to Phu Quoc or a flight back to HCMC and the bus up to Mui Ne .
    From what I can gather there will be slightly less rain in Mui Ne and maybe a bit more to do there.

#4 Posted: 21/2/2013 - 04:51

• LolaNguyen

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hoi An! July is right in the middle of our dry season, the beaches are stunning and you can fly direct from Ha Noi in just over an hour for about $30 (just to meddle with your plans, sorry about that).

#5 Posted: 21/2/2013 - 05:52

• Ross81

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2013

Yes we plan to spend some time in Hoi An as we make our way north. Really looking forward to it. It was 12 years ago the last time I was in Vietnam

#6 Posted: 21/2/2013 - 09:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.