Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

sim card + 3g

• bascanvas

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2011

Hi,

i'm travelling to VN in a week and a half and will be in the country for about two months. I would like to get a sim card with 3g internet (android phone), As far as i can find on the www this is pretty cheap in VN. But i'm a bit confused about which plan and provider would work best for me. I would just be making some local calls and surf on occasion to find some info while out and about, in the hotels i would like to use the wifi as much as possible.

Can anyone provide me with some usefull info on which provider and plan should work best for me.

Thx

#1 Posted: 20/2/2013 - 13:18

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I was there late last year, picked up a Vinaphone sim (was about $5 from memory) and then I put $10 worth of credit on it and signed up for a plan. That lasted me ten days of heavy data use.

The tricky bit is the plan -- I ended up going to the Vinaphone website and figured out the codes to activate the plan as I would the sim card off a lady who also sold baguettes and beer and probably thought 3G was a brand of the latter.

If you can't get online, but a sim then get staff at the guesthouse to help you -- I've done that in the past with no problem.

This post on how to get a sim card inHanoi is a little old, but may also be helpful.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 21/2/2013 - 04:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.