Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

sim card + 3g

Posted by bascanvas on 20/2/2013 at 13:18

Hi,

i'm travelling to VN in a week and a half and will be in the country for about two months. I would like to get a sim card with 3g internet (android phone), As far as i can find on the www this is pretty cheap in VN. But i'm a bit confused about which plan and provider would work best for me. I would just be making some local calls and surf on occasion to find some info while out and about, in the hotels i would like to use the wifi as much as possible.

Can anyone provide me with some usefull info on which provider and plan should work best for me.

Thx

#1 bascanvas has been a member since 18/9/2011. Posts: 14

Posted by somtam2000 on 21/2/2013 at 04:11 admin

I was there late last year, picked up a Vinaphone sim (was about $5 from memory) and then I put $10 worth of credit on it and signed up for a plan. That lasted me ten days of heavy data use.

The tricky bit is the plan -- I ended up going to the Vinaphone website and figured out the codes to activate the plan as I would the sim card off a lady who also sold baguettes and beer and probably thought 3G was a brand of the latter.

If you can't get online, but a sim then get staff at the guesthouse to help you -- I've done that in the past with no problem.

This post on how to get a sim card inHanoi is a little old, but may also be helpful.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.