Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

5 days in Hanoi - which excursion?

• cpelser

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2013

Hi guys.

We'll be in Hanoi for 5 days from the 9th of March.
    We'd like to do something from there (I don't like cities much)

What can we do from here?
    Halong Bay?
    Cat Ba? (Speed Ferry from Halong city + one day halong bay + maybe some motorbiking around Cat Ba)
    Sapa? (Do we have enough time?)

I'm leaning towards Halong bay, because of time. Can we fit Sapa? I'm worried about Halong Bay's dodgy tours..
    We'll also spend 5 days in Hoi An (from where we'll do a 2/3 day motorbike tour)

#1 Posted: 27/2/2013 - 10:14

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I like Sapa the best, and Cat Ba the least (avoid Cat Ba Town at all cost)

Hanoi is wonderful too (as long as you concentrate on the Old Quarter) - see it on foot

#2 Posted: 27/2/2013 - 13:22

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

Sapa 's great but I wouldn't recommend going for less than 3 days / 4 nights unless you sleep well on trains. Still, in 5 days you'd have time to do that and get a glimpse of Hanoi too, but couldn't also do Halong.

If you decide you prefer Halong Bay (there's a thread on here somewhere with people debating the merits of Sapa vs Halong Bay, which might be worth a read) then as you've noted, you have two options: a tour or self-organised. Choice really depends on whether you're happy to sort stuff out yourself or want it nice and easy. Don't be put off by 'dodgy' tours - go to a recommended agent or pay for one of the more luxury boats. It might cost a bit more but is worth it. I agree with daawgon about Cat Ba town too! But think Hanoi has a lot more going for it than Old Quarter.

#3 Posted: 27/2/2013 - 21:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.