Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Open tour sleeping bus Hanoi to lua prabang

• casper709394

Joined Travelfish
    15th March, 2013

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi all,

Im looking for some advise on travel by open bus to lua prabang from Hanoi. Do the open bus have power socket for me to charge my electronic device. I ask the agent some said have and some said don't have. I'm a bit confuse here. And do also the but have toilet and how long the journey time.

Please advise a good bus for this trip. Thanks

#1 Posted: 16/3/2013 - 01:22

• Advertisement

• jokalla

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2013

Me and a couple of friends took the overnight bus from Luang Prabang to Hanoi just last week. The bus didn't have sockets to charge things, and honestly even if it did I wouldn't want o leave my valuables out in the open. At the border between Laos & Vietnam I suspect one of the 5+ people working on the bus stole my headphones. It was a pleasant trip other than that, no toilets on the bus but frequent stops on the side of the road & at restaurants to grab a bite to eat or relieve yourself. Also from my experience (budget backpacking), there has never been any guarantee of quality of buses if you book from agents.. they will say one thing and you will be given another. All a part of the journey I suppose but can get pretty annoying.

Also journey time from Luang Prabang to Hanoi was initially supposed to be 24 hours. Turned into 28 at the end of it all.

Just giving you this information because it will probably be very relevant in the opposite direction (Hanoi to LP). Good luck!

#2 Posted: 19/3/2013 - 09:32

• casper709394

Joined Travelfish
    15th March, 2013

Hi jokalla, very thanks for your information. Do you still remember what the name of the bus that you took. I asked around agent hanoi but give me different bus company name. When I did a search in google, none of the bus company appear serve the route.

Please do advice the location of bus at Luang Prabang and Hanoi station. Thanks

#3 Posted: 20/3/2013 - 01:16

• jokalla

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2013

The name doesn't come to mind, but if this helps it had huge flashing LED lights that said HANOI & LUANG PRABANG on it, maybe a couple of other city names too. I would think that they will just put you onto whatever bus has spaces left, don't count on travelling with a particular company.

As for the location of the bus.. I'm unsure. From Luang Prabang we bought a ticket at an agent in the city and were told to go to a certain bus station (there is 3 there I think). In Hanoi, once we arrived a tour guide hopped on the bus and organised a minivan for $1.50 per person into the backpacker district of Hanoi.

Sorry I can't provide more info, just take a gamble and it should all work out (hopefully with minor hiccups!). Good luck!

#4 Posted: 22/3/2013 - 09:54

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Most people that I talked to that did this journey said it was the bus ride from hell and to try and avoid it at all costs. 28 hours long, crappy buses, couple people said they overfilled it so people were sitting in the aisles, poor treatment at the border.

I guess if you have no other options then go for it but from what I heard I would split it up or fly.

#5 Posted: 22/3/2013 - 10:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Trustworthy Open Tour Bus in Hanoi ... By FonBangkok on 8 Feb 2008 9 19279 27 Jul 2009