Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Things that go buzz in the night can kill you!

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

Saw my doctor this week and he said that I should make sure I take anti-mosquito precautions as DENGUE fever is running wild in the south with 15,000 people infected, 12 of them dead. At this point in 2006 only 8 people had succumbed. Seems that around 85% of the victims are located in the south.

Two other curves to his warning: (1) the virus is mutating in reaction to commonly used drugs; (2) it is becoming a year-round problem rather than confined to certain months of the year.

Of course, mozzies like the south best, and what with the ideal breeding areas such as rivers filled with untreated sewage, a problem all over this country, things couldn't be much more ideal for them.

We have bug sample catchers in my office and 1 is ABOVE the warning threshold (actually the threshold is half-a-mosquito) per sampled area and it the worst areas the count is almost two (average).

Bottom line is use plenty of Deet-based bug spray, wash your feet daily, wear clean socks and make sure your shoes don't smell like 'cheese'. The worst types of mosquitoes like this smell and come out at dawn and dusk.

You can buy repellent in VN - a spray called REMOS and a cream/lotion called SOFELL. Neither have an unpleasant smell and don't stain (my) clothes.

There is no cure for dengue, yet, drugs are used to reduce the fever.

#1 Posted: 16/6/2007 - 01:54

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Fun things to do at night in Boracay ... By Mickey_G on 31 May 2014 2 602 23 Jul 2014