Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Aargh! They've changed our flights!

• rashers

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2013

Flying Vietnam Air Hanoi - Luang Prabang. Booked tickets a month ago for a 9:15-11:20 flight for 5 pp on 31/3. They confirmed the flights by sending me a schedule and have just received a new schedule where they've shunted us onto a later flight at 12:10. Can they do that??!! Should I just ignore and arrive on time for the earlier flight or would I be wasting my time?

#1 Posted: 19/3/2013 - 04:25

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Have you been in touch with them to ask? First, go on line and see if the original flight still exists. Then given them a call (skype, if necessary).

I had this happen to my on a NZ Jetstar flight once. Had a group booking for 5 to the Rugby 7's (made many months in advance), and one day received notification that we were all on a different flight. I checked online, and the original flight was still shown as a valid flight. Called them up, and they said 'no worries' and put me back on my original, planned flight. I gave them an earful to no avail, of course. But my theory is that all the flights to Wellington were fully booked and they decided to start shuffling people around to try to get new people on to the better flights, and shunting people off onto less popular flights in the hopes that people wouldn't query it. &#^% Jetstar!

Phone them - it's worth a shot. But no, I wouldn't just go to the airport in the hopes that a flight will magically appear. That would be a waste of time, me thinks.

#2 Posted: 19/3/2013 - 05:36

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I checked the website, and the only flight on VN is the one at 12:10 (the other flight listed is the codeshare on Lao)

#3 Posted: 19/3/2013 - 13:15

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Then I guess they've had a change of schedule - which I guess it's airline's perogative, even though it is rather annoying for us travellers. The OP can still call the airline - who knows, maybe they have other options up their sleeves- or at least some explanation. If it were me, I'd probably just enjoy the extra 3-hour sleep in! :-)

#4 Posted: 19/3/2013 - 15:36

• rashers

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2013

I suppose I have to be grateful this happened before we left and it's still comparatively easy to change plans. Could have been so much more annoying had this happened, while on holiday. Maybe I'll drag the kids off to see a person who's been dead for the last 50 years, after all! ;)

#5 Posted: 20/3/2013 - 06:52

• mikepoppe

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2009

I work in the region and it is the bane of my existence. Vietnam Airlines is particularly bad at changing flights many times over, as well as cancelling them altogether. It's usually fine, but it can happen a lot more around the Lunar New Year and through the busy peak periods (Dec-Feb).

Unfortunately, there is not too much that can be done, other than the prescribed sleep in!

#6 Posted: 20/3/2013 - 15:13

• rashers

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2013

I'm amazed they get away with it, frankly. Ah well, at least it's a good 'heads-up' for me to leave my western attitudes at home. The only shame of it is, now I'll have no choice but to check my mail regularly for any other surprises en route and that was sth I'd hoped to avoid while on holiday :(

#7 Posted: 20/3/2013 - 16:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.