Vietnam forum

Buying US dollars in Can Tho or Chau Doc

• Hungrytrave-
    ller

Joined Travelfish
    27th March, 2013

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi,

I'm crossing into Cambodia from Chau Doc in a few days and don't have any US dollars to pay for the visa. I've heads its possible to pay in Dong but is much more expensive.

Does anyone know where I can buy some US dollars? I'm currently in Can Tho. None of the jewellery places here can help, and the banks will only buy dollars, not sell.

#1 Posted: 27/3/2013 - 04:01

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Try your hotel or a travel agency. They often get paid in USD but be prepared for a bad exchange rate. Vietnamese don't like to part with their hard currency so you have to question whether it will be worth it for you. If you want an explanation: The official government exchange rate is much lower than the grey/black market rate. Hence the big loss at the border and the unwillingness of people and banks to sell you dollars.

If it was me, I'd just take my losses and pay the higher fee in Dong and enjoy the rest of the time while you're in Vietnam. Is it really worth it to spend a full day looking for USD to save $5 or $10 at the border?

#2 Posted: 27/3/2013 - 21:19

• Hungrytrave-
    ller

Joined Travelfish
    27th March, 2013

Thanks for the info.

In case anyone is interested we ended up paying the visa in dong. It was $23 ($3 extra for the tour guide to organise it through the awkward lunch hour or something like that) and the exchange rate was 22000 dong for the dollar so without the tour fee it wasn't much of a mark up at all.

#3 Posted: 1/4/2013 - 09:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.