Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Foodie area in Ho Chi Minh City

Posted by hoorayhi on 31/3/2013 at 05:12

Myself and a couple of friends are heading to Ho Chi Minh City and we are huge foodies. Are there any food tours that we can go on to get the best of the city? Thanks!

#1 hoorayhi has been a member since 5/3/2013. Posts: 4

Posted by busylizzy on 31/3/2013 at 05:27

I don't have any specific recommendations, but have you checked out the TF blogs? From the menu at the top Blogs -> Vietnam, then scroll down to to see the categories on the left. There are a bunch under food: http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/vietnam/category/saigon/food-saigon/ You should find something of interest in here. Many are reviews of restaurants, but there are probably some that cover various food markets, etc.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by caseyprich on 31/3/2013 at 06:38

To the North of Ben Thanh market are a number of food carts and local food spots. Don't know about any tours for that.

#3 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by daawgon on 3/4/2013 at 14:22

The best food in Saigon is not in a restaurant at all - it's the street food. Look at the older parts of Noodlepie

#4 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,083

Posted by travellingsarah on 4/4/2013 at 01:54 TF writer

Posted from within Vietnam.

I've heard good things about the XO tour but you need to book in advance.

#5 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 679
 Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Posted by raineong on 4/4/2013 at 05:34

Hi! I'm joining XO Tour for my upcoming trip in April as well. But we decided to book the night tour as it seems more interesting and most likely easier to follow them to take a look of Saigon at night :) Probably can let you know the review if you are travelling after 6th May cause that's when I'll be back :)

#6 raineong has been a member since 3/3/2013. Posts: 6
 Website   Instagram 

Posted by hoorayhi on 11/4/2013 at 08:38

My travel agent Flight Centre HK also suggested the XO Tour in Vietnam and said it was the best for foodies!

Is this the one: http://xotours.vn/Our_Tours/The_Foodie.html? Please do let us know how it goes! Since I am in Hong Kong, I can fly there anytime.

#7 hoorayhi has been a member since 5/3/2013. Posts: 4

Posted by MADMAC on 11/4/2013 at 12:30

"The best food in Saigon is not in a restaurant at all - it's the street food. Look at the older parts of Noodlepie"

Then the food in Saigon must suck. Street food is practical and cheap. High end restaraunts, on the other hand, are suppose to serve high end cuisine.

#8 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.