Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Itinerary critique please!

• Bradders

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2013

Hi all! First time poster long time lurker!

The wife and I are heading to Vietnam and Cambodia for 26 days in July and here's the run down of what we are going to do, are we missing anything amazing or does this look good? flyinh into Hanoi and out of Phnom Penh

4 nights in Hanoi (Ha long bay trip)
    Fly to Da Nang
    2 nights in Hue
    2 nights in Hoi An
    6D/5N 'Easy Rider' tour Hoi An to Saigon
    4 nights in Saigon
    (We have 3 spare nights here not sure what to do ideas?)
    3 nights Siem Reap
    3 nights Phnom Penh

Any advice would be awesome thanks!!

#1 Posted: 1/4/2013 - 18:35

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Have you considered flying directly into Hue - they have an airport. As well, you can take the train down to Hue overnight - very convenient as it picks up in downtown Hanoi and drops off on the edge of Hue. Then you can take the train from Hue to Da Nang when you depart there (a great short ride, one of the best stretches of rail in SE Asia).

With your three spare nights between Saigon and Siem Reap have you considered taking a night or two to visit Can Tho and the floating markets. A nice, quiet and easily accessible Delta town - about 4-5 hours from Saigon and easy for an independent travelers to explore.

Are you flying fro Saigon to SR and then working back to PP?

#2 Posted: 1/4/2013 - 21:55

• Bradders

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2013

Yes sorry I meant flying into Hue!! Having trouble keep track of what is going on at the moment haha..

That was the thinking of going to Can Tho and doing the floating markets etc, or possibly Ha Tien and into Kampot to spend a couple of days there before heading upto SR.

At this stage we havn't decided whether to fly to SR from Saigon or making our way through Can Tho -> Chau Doc etc etc.

#3 Posted: 1/4/2013 - 22:02

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Well, we came via a reverse route that included Kampot and a hectic day from Kampot straight to Can Tho that took the better part of day-light hours. I wouldn't recommend that you miss Kampot, as I really liked the place, but with your schedule I think it is better that you give it a skip. Kampot is best enjoyed in 3/4 nights and you'd have to rush through Can Tho, rush over to Kampot and then rush up to SR (a very long bus ride). Instead, if you are flying out of PP - I'd recommend just take two nights in Can Tho and then ride back up to Saigon to catch a flight to SR and work your way back down to PP. If you've still got an extra day in your pocket you can either relax a little more in Siem Reap or end up adding it as a night to the Hue- Da Nang -Hoian area. I think Da Nang is a great place to hang out by the riverside bars and enjoy night life - could think about doing that for one evening.

#4 Posted: 1/4/2013 - 23:44

• LolaNguyen

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Might be worth checking your flight in to Hue as the airport is closed for six months, so you may very well be flying in to Da Nang, if so it's only a couple of hours drive to Hue from there so no big deal. Your schedule looks great, the only thing that might be worth looking in to a bit more is taking an Easy Rider all the way from Hoi An to Saigon - it's a really long journey and you might find after a few days of 200 plus kilometres it gets a bit uncomfortable. You could split it up a bit and use your three spare days somewhere in between, Da Lat is beautiful and so is Doc Let beach near Nha Trang, if your Easy Rider is not happy with that you can easily finish your trip with him and start a new one (Da Lat is the home of the Easy Rider).

#5 Posted: 2/4/2013 - 06:37

• Bradders

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2013

Thanks Casey and Lola, that was a concern the length of the easy rider tour!! will do some more looking

Thanks very much for the idea's!

#6 Posted: 2/4/2013 - 17:01

• MotHaiBa

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011

I'm with you Lola on the length of that Easy Rider tour. A couple of days on the back of the bike trying make those km's to Saigon will sort you out. Suggest breaking that up with something like Nha Trang or Da Lat or even Mui Ne if you last that long. For those 3 days suggest you use them traveling through the Mekong. You can get an off the shelf tour with any of the agents in Saigon (eg Sinh Tourist are good for the budget option) that will finish at the border town of Chau Doc where you can then take a fast boat up to Phnom Penh. If you are still keen on motorbike touring - and why wouldn't you - get a tailored tour with someone like Saigon Riders. And do a homestay.
    You're itinerary looks great. You'll have heaps of fun.

#7 Posted: 3/4/2013 - 04:17

• thuhangqb

Joined Travelfish
    8th April, 2013

Posted from within Vietnam.

You can visit Phong Nha - Ke Bang cave in Quang Binh province, 200 km far from Hue City.

#8 Posted: 8/4/2013 - 03:18

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I think you should reduce time in Saigon by 1 day, and definitely go up to the NW Highlands to see Sapa. You want at least 3 or 4 days for Hanoi city itself (most interesting place in VN).

#9 Posted: 8/4/2013 - 13:38

• Bradders

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2013

So after a bit more thinking and reading and deciding our trip is now looking like this ...

5 nights in Hanoi (Ha long bay trip)
    Fly to Da Nang
    2 nights in Hue
    2 nights in Hoi An\
    Fly Da Nang to Saigon
    4 nights in Saigon
    3 nights to do mekong stuff.
    3 night Phnom Penh
    3 nights Siem Reap
    3 nights Kampot
    1 nights Phnom Penh
    Fly out

#10 Posted: 15/4/2013 - 21:29

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 48

If you've got 3 nights in the Mekong you may want to go directly to Kampot via the Mekong and then head up to PP - SR.

#11 Posted: 15/4/2013 - 23:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
One month Itinerary - please critique! ... By mikefly on 19 May 2013 24 1916 25 May 2013
Critique the Itinerary- do I have time to do more? ... By Sidiki on 7 Aug 2013 15 1105 9 Aug 2013
October in SEA / 26 Day Itinerary Critique Please ... By SupremoSkelator on 5 Sep 2012 2 1366 6 Sep 2012
Critique my Thailand itinerary! ... By TorontoJay on 1 Aug 2013 5 1312 5 Aug 2013
Asia Itinerary- Critique please! ... By sarandjer on 15 Dec 2009 1 1378 15 Dec 2009
Please critique my 45 day SE asia itinerary ... By relf on 9 Apr 2008 3 3440 11 Apr 2008
critique my 3 week itinerary please ... By smash on 21 Jun 2009 14 3804 2 Jul 2009
69 day trip - please critique my itinerary ... By daflj on 24 Sep 2008 7 2611 27 Oct 2008
3-month SEA itinerary - please critique ... By adaminasia on 7 Aug 2013 33 2296 12 Aug 2013
Critique my Trip Itinerary ? ... By powahgen on 17 Aug 2011 5 2697 18 Aug 2011