Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

How Long in Hue

• Benno

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012

Hello,
    My partner and I are looking to spend about 4N in Hue this year (August) is this too long to spend here? Hue seems to get a bit of a bum wrap and I don't want to spend the days doing nothing.

Thanks
    Benno

#1 Posted: 6/4/2013 - 00:29

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Depends on if you're going to use it as a base-camp to explore some of the surrounding area. Give yourself the day of arrival, a whole day to explore the city, a day to take a trip up to the pass, a day to explore some of the temples in the surrounding area. That's four nights. I rather liked the laid back nature of the town within the wall, it has a very different feel from Da Nang and Hoi'an.

#2 Posted: 6/4/2013 - 00:41

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Main attractions in Hue are the Citadel and Tombs which can be seen in 1 long day or 2 part days. Can do a DMZ tour but not sure they are really worth it from what I have read, if interested in war maybe just go to the tunnels instead as they seem to be the main thing worth seeing.

I would say 3 days probably max imo is what I would spend there, I did it in 2 days myself and would probably do the same if I went back again.

#3 Posted: 6/4/2013 - 00:47

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Why are you trying to figure this out now? My advice would be not to attach a timeline to your itinerary. Leave when the place no longer interests you. If you are enjoying it, stay until you don't or you run out of time. Don't overplan.

#4 Posted: 6/4/2013 - 23:18

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Madmac is right. Keep it as flexible as you can as your plans will change.

Four days in Hue is good if you've got the time up your sleeve - it really depends on the rest off your itinerary and your total travel time. If you're on a tight schedule, then cut it down to 2-3 full days. If you're on a really tight schedule, I'd suggest leaving it in favour of other parts of Vietnam. One of the things I enjoyed doing in Hue was an all-day motorbike trip across the DMZ to the Vinh Moc tunnels. I hired a motorbike driver through my guesthouse (I wasn't game to drive myself in Vietnam at that point!). He made various stops along the way, through rice fields, temples, the tunnels, various other historical places of interest. It was a long day - but fun and interesting. The tunnels are esp worth a visit.

#5 Posted: 7/4/2013 - 04:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.