Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Vietnam Itenarary

• Bellacat4

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2013

I see a lot of people post their itinerary and people give a lot of good advice.
    We are a family of 5 travelling with three girls 10,13 and 16.

Day 1: Arrive late in Hanoi
    Day 2: Hanoi
    Day3: Halong Cruise with Handspan
    Day 4: Halong and return to Hanoi-catch night train to Hue
    Day 5:Hue
    Day6: Hue to Hoi An (possibly get a driver)
    Day 7: Hoi An
    Day8: Hoi An
    Day 9: Fly from Danang to HCM
    Day 10: HCM
    Day 11: HCM-Mekong- Can Tho
    Day 12: Can Tho fly to Phu Quoc
    Day 13:PQ
    Day 14:PQ
    Day 15:PQ
    Day 16:PQ
    Day 17: leave PQ to Phnom Phenh
    Day 18: PP
    Day 19:PP leave late at night

I am worried that we are not spending enough time in Hanoi and HCM other than having one fully day. I also thought it
    would be nice to stop and relax in PQ.
    Thanks for any advice.

#1 Posted: 16/4/2013 - 15:58

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

That looks like a reasonable itinerary to me. The only question I have is why you're going to Phnom Phenh at the end? Not that it's not an interesting place to visit but it seems like a lot of hassle and expense for just a couple of days. Personally I'd put that time in elsewhere in Vietnam, like in Hanoi, where you only have one day (not enough!), but if you are fixed to fly out of PP then so be it.

#2 Posted: 16/4/2013 - 21:14

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

You can hire a driver between Hue and Hoi'an--- but you can also take the train right along the coast and this is very nice while not eating up too much time (though you only get to Da Nang then and have to catch further transport about 20-30 minutes to Hoi'an). My favorite set of tracks on the SE Asian mainland. Not sure the girls are interested in trains, but it might be a nice additional experience and both stations are right in the middle of town.

I overall agree with Sarah that you shouldn't waste the time/effort just to hit PP. There are certainly some interesting historical things to see in the city and it is by no means a 'miss' location, but it isn't worth the extra international airfare (You really don't want to try overlanding from PQ to PP in a single day!) and visa expense. Also, what is really worth seeing may not be right for teenage girls, the Killing Fields & S21. Why not fly back to HCMC so that you can have another night or two there?

#3 Posted: 17/4/2013 - 01:43

• Want2BHappy

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2013

That's a lot of time in PQ....

PQ is nice enough, but there's really almost nothing to do apart from the beaches (which /are/ nice).

Also depending on the time of year, it can be pretty blowy and is probably best avoided.. When are you planning to go?

#4 Posted: 17/4/2013 - 03:18

• Bellacat4

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2013

I used airmile points for this trip and we are landing in Hanoi and Phnom Phenh was the only place that
    was close to fly out. So it wasn't really a choice but my plane tickets were almost free.

We will be in PQ the begining of June.

#5 Posted: 17/4/2013 - 09:56

• frere

Click here to learn more about frere
    Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

there is an excellent article on this site which, among other things, recommends "off the beaten track." i know you want some security when travelling with sprogs but the vietnamese in general really like children - it can actually make your trip easier because they are more likely to help you. itinery is ok but what happens when you get somewhere like hanoi and realise that you are only going to see a lot of nonsense and will have no idea what life is like for the poor souls like me who live here, let alone the 20% or so who are "real hanoians" and the 70+% who came here to study or work and never left. a witty englishman was asked by a tourist "what should i do in hanoi?" - his reply, "leave"

same with saigon - backpackers walking up and down backpacker avenue with the lonely plonker in their right hand [reminiscent of the religion of peace and treated with the same blind devotion] luckily they only carry water bottles in the other hand.

one city or the other - you can't know places in 2 days. and for goodness sake don't get roped in to visiting uncle ho's mausoleum [built in defiance of the great man's instructions]

i forgot to mention - despite appearances, it is NOT compulsory to wear a red t-shirt with a yellow star.

#6 Posted: 28/4/2013 - 02:52

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

So maybe leave PQ a day early so that you can break up your journey to PP . . . I'd consider trying to get to Kampot for a night, a quiet nice river town on the way way to PP.

#7 Posted: 29/4/2013 - 00:31

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Easyrider from Hue to Hoi An would be a nice experience. Great scenic ride and can stop at marble mountain on the way. I took the train since it is quite highly regarded but honestly it was somewhat disappointing and I ended up reading most of the way. I could tell there was nice scenery but my seat ended was on the non scenic side and it was difficult to see through the windows and nearly impossible to take pictures without leaving seat.

Alternative to Phu Quoc to save money and would be equally relaxing would be to go from Can Tho to Ha Tien then over to Kep. Rabbit Island is a nice enough little island to spend 2-3 days relaxing on and is much cheaper then Phu Quoc. Then you can check out Kep/Kampot(both of which are relaxing have some nice places to eat and decent sights/things to do) before heading into Phnom Penh.

Saves a plane ticket(or two if you were flying from Phu Quoc to Phnom Penh) and has cheaper accommodation. Also get to see a little more then just a beach.

#8 Posted: 5/5/2013 - 01:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.