Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

travel to vietnam

• jimmy0191

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2013

Hi their my name is jimmy im 22 and from london.I have decided that in the next few weeks I am going to travel to vietnam for a month. I would like some advice on where to start and if anyone has done a month traveling in Vietnam how they found it and what I need to prepare for and what i need to travel? I have never done this before all the holidays in my life have been spanish resorts and booked and arranged. I want to step into the unknown meet new people and not be limited, just experiance what veitnam and possibly the rest of asia has to offer. so any advice on what it is likely to cost me, what to take, what to watch out for, what I will need will be much appreciated :)

#1 Posted: 21/4/2013 - 07:33

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Assuming you want the lowest priced places to stay and eat, I would say that it could be done for a low of $40. a day using hostels and train travel. The larger cities and resort towns will be more expensive. The cheapest and easiest way to get your visa is the prearranged VOA process - there are hundreds of vendors in Vietnam that will gladly handle this through the internet.

I would suggest purchasing an open jaw ticket from the UK into Hanoi (out of Saigon), and progressing from there on no set schedule. Tourism is well developed in this country, English is understood quite well, and you will find many other travelers of your age doing the very same thing. Look at the Vietnam section of Travelfish to pick the places that appeal to you (my favorites are Hanoi, Sapa, Hoi An and Dalat). Not at all difficult - Vietnam is a fantastic place to experience culture and wonderful, outgoing people. I always warn the youth who come to VN to please avoid long distance, open tour bus travel (many have been killed on these dangerous roads).

My other suggestion is to contact the fantastic university clubs in VN that give free tours in exchange for English practice - send them an email at least a month prior to travel to reserve a date (Hanoikids, Saigonhotpot and Danangkids). They all have websites for info.

#2 Posted: 21/4/2013 - 12:50

• helsbels24

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2013

I've just got back from 3 weeks in Vietnam. My partner and I booked a return flight to Ho Chi Minh and an internal flight straight up to Hanoi before leaving and then pretty much arranged everything else while we were out there. Preparation-wise, there are a couple of vaccinations that are advisable, you need to sort a visa - I did it through the embassy which is in High Street Kensington.

Personally I think it's best to work out a rough route, though it is good if you can be flexible, we did Hanoi - Hue - Hoi An - Nha Trang - Ho Chi Minh for a flight to Phu Quoc - Can Tho - Ho Chi Minh, and we travelled by trains and planes, but this was a route we figured out when we arrived and we changed it around depending on how much we liked an area etc.

Money-wise, it can be done quite cheaply, food, travel and hotels averaged out to between £25 - £35 a day, it depends on what kind of accommodation you are looking for and how you like to travel. sleeper trains are good as they save on hotels as well :)

#3 Posted: 21/4/2013 - 16:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.