Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

hoi an to hanoi

• rorty

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2012

hey guys I'm heading off to vietnam for a few weeks with 2 teenage kids. Am wondering if anyone has thoughts on how to get from Hoi An to Hanoi? Was thinking about hiring a private car to drive us from Hoi An to Hue including over the Hai Van pass, does anyone have any ideas of cost and time it takes? Then spending a night in Hue and travelling to Hanoi, but am unsure how to get there! Train? How long does it take and would it be comfortable with kids? Or are there other options, as i know Hue airport is currently closed. Any info much appreciated. thanks

#1 Posted: 23/4/2013 - 05:19

• Advertisement

• cvuasia

Joined Travelfish
    23rd April, 2013
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

Dear Rorty !
    from Hoi an to Hanoi you can do 2 ways : Take flight from : Danang - Hanoi
    take private car go to Hue pass by HAI VAN pass the cost may around 75$ -80$ for 4 seats car then take train HUE - HANOI AROUND 10 hours arrive Hanoi ,
    this train depend on which kind you chose there are best services and normal services , and will be comfortable and no.
    Any thing you can contact with me.

Claudia - Asia Master Travel

#2 Posted: 25/4/2013 - 05:37

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I have done Hue - Hanoi with both Vietnam Air and Livitrans train, and both are fine. I would do the train - this is the equivalent of first class, but you need to purchase Livitrans tickets from a travel agent (it does sell out frequently). Livitrans has 4-berth compartments on it's single car (attached to the state train) - this is overnight, but I don't know the exact time schedules. One advantage to the train is that both the Hue and Hanoi Ga (ga is station) are in-town, and you can actually walk to both from center city. I would supply my own food and water for the trip - very limited aboard the train.

There are other classes on that train such as (regular) soft sleeper, but Livitrans is somewhat cleaner - I've done it this way, and I'm fairly picky about how I travel. I also did (regular) soft sleeper to Nha Trang, and never again!

If Livitrans is sold out for your dates, I would fly from Danang-Hanoi while the Hue airport is closed.

#3 Posted: 25/4/2013 - 12:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.