Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Help please with planning

• Balihopeful

Joined Travelfish
    26th April, 2013

Hoping to go to Vietnam in January. Probably only have 2 weeks with extra night stop over in KL on the way and 2 nights KL returning. Flying out of Perth and wanting to see Hanoi, Hoi An, Halong Bay and maybe one other place. Dont want to be travelling every day would rather see a few places and stay a few days in each place. Any recommendations?

#1 Posted: 26/4/2013 - 03:37

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Be careful with January - TET in Vietnam is the end of Jan '14 (transport problems and higher cost generally)

#2 Posted: 26/4/2013 - 12:17

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I always recommend the sleeper train from Hanoi to Danang. If you book the later departure you should end up passing the stretch of track between Hue and Danang in the morning hours, very beautiful seaside views. The train is also more convenient than the Hanoi airport, and from Danang to Hoian is something like 30 minutes on moto. If you are trying to travel during Tet you can book tickets ahead online. I used the following site and had my ticket waiting at my Hanoi hotel when I arrived: http://www.trainticketdeliver.com/

#3 Posted: 26/4/2013 - 17:59

• Balihopeful

Joined Travelfish
    26th April, 2013

thankyou overnight train sounds good. Guess if I start at Hanoi then I might fly out of Saigon and have a day or 2 there as well. Can I fly to Saigon from say Danang? I must admit to ignorance and ask what is TET? I should be home by 20th January so possibly miss TET???

#4 Posted: 26/4/2013 - 19:50

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

Tet is the lunar new year. It's 31st Jan next year so you shouldn't have any problems with transport. I think Hanoi , Halong and Hoi An are good bets for a 2 week break if you want to take it slow. There are loads of day trips and activities you can do from Hanoi as a base, same as Hoi An. You could also add in Hue if that interests you and you feel you'll have time - so take the train to Hue, stay a day or so, then take the train onward to Danang. And yes, you can fly to Saigon from Danang.

#5 Posted: 27/4/2013 - 01:37

• frere

Click here to learn more about frere
    Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

i just answered someone about a similar issue -
    1 hanoi and saigon are my two least favourite places here
    2 what do you know in a couple of days?

introduction on this site is useful if a little rose-tinted and the best advice is repeated: ask other travellers. my personal tag is to avoid the lonely plonker guidebook - apart from anything else you end up at places where you only meet people with the same book. get out there and explore!

#6 Posted: 28/4/2013 - 03:10

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

With two weeks I agree you go more with Sarah's plan. Keep to the Triple-H ( Hanoi -Hue-Hoian). You can fly back to Hanoi from Da Nang (Hue or Danang airport closed at this time? I keep forgetting).

#7 Posted: 29/4/2013 - 00:35

• Mexi736

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2013

I would like recommend you Optiontown.com to everyone. I had an economy class ticket of Vietnam Airlines and applied for Upgrade to business class. and got the upgrade. Traveled in business class at a very low price. Enjoyed full, worth using.

#8 Posted: 29/4/2013 - 06:03

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

If you are going to do the north stretch slowly add in Paradise Cave. Can take sleeper train to Dong Hoi(slow train might work best for this arrival time and cost wise, at least it did going to Hanoi) then you can either rent a scooter and ride it to the cave(nice scenery along way and very reasonably priced this way) or can book a tour although they are fairly pricey.

Then hop on train down to Hue, Hoi An etc. This should only add 1-2 days to your schedule and you will be very happy you went.

#9 Posted: 5/5/2013 - 01:08

• Hazel_87

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2013

I recommend Lang Co beach, Paradise Cave very beautiful places. For flying I recommend Vietnam Airlines & Use optiontown.com services (I enjoyed business class upgrade for VND 363577 between Hanoi to Nha trang)
    ENJOY

#10 Posted: 14/5/2013 - 02:04

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.