Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

What Bike for seeing Vietnam

  • GregRoy

    Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2012
    Posts: 5


    May of seen my previous post but in about 3 weeks I plan on buying a motorbike and touring Vietnam.

    If possible I'm going to try and obtain a Vietnamese license as I've read it can be done. I've seen it has been easy for some and a nightmare for others. I've seen it can be as simple as showing my UK license filling in some forms in Vietnamese and passing the practical. (I know foreign licences are not recognised in Vietnam but many say they have done this).

    Regarding which bike to choose.... The two main ones seem to be the Wave and the Win. The Win looks like a better bike for the roads away from town but the wave is the most common bike in Vietnam and hence very easy to get repaired.....that much easier than a Win??

    Just curious as to what people who have done the trip would reccomend. I'm aware that buying an second hand Bike is a gamble but from the bikes to choose from what would you reccomend.

    Any advice regarding a Vietnamese license or any other info would be greatly appreciated.

    Many thanks


    #1 Posted: 27/4/2013 - 05:39

  • Advertisement

  • matroi81

    Joined Travelfish
    31st January, 2013
    Posts: 1

    Posted from within Vietnam.

    Hi Greg,

    In my opinion, your case is difficult to be issued/change your license. But you also can take risk driving a motorbike without a license. Unusually Vietnamese police stop foreigner on street.
    There are several kinds of motorbike that is suitable for foreigner, including Wave and Win that you mentioned before. Win is stronger than Wave and you can easily find place to repair both motorbikes. However, to experience mountainous regions in Vietnam, you might need stronger one such as Minsk while just driving on street, one motorbike made by Suzuki such as Airblade or Serious seems be good for you.

    Hope can help you a bit.


    #2 Posted: 3/5/2013 - 05:00

  • BruceHaydon

    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2013
    Posts: 6

    Hi Greg .
    I bought a Win from a guy in Hanoi , they charge me 250$ for a Win ( Chinese one for sure ) then i made 3 week trip from Hanoi to Hochiminh city . Only problem i have was 2 flat tyre near Hue , and that's it . You can have a look at his website here : hanoimotorcyclerental.com . or contact Long : +84984599096 , not sure but you may get a discount if you mention me ( Bruce Haydon from Australlia )
    Have a good ride mate !

    #3 Posted: 18/5/2013 - 03:36

  • gecktrek

    Click here to learn more about gecktrek
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2013
    Location Australia
    Posts: 75
    Places visited:
    At least 121

    Did you end up getting a Vietnamese licence? What route did you take?

    #4 Posted: 18/5/2013 - 16:45

  • BruceHaydon

    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2013
    Posts: 6

    Posted from within Vietnam.

    Vietnamese licence? Never seen it before. Being stopped by police once, but they let me go as soon they saw my white face.
    We took the Hochiminh highway through Maichau, TanKy, Phong Nha, Khe Sanh ( luckily us we could take the west highway to Khesanh, 250km of jungle) . Hue, Hoian, Quy Nhon, Nha Trang, Muine and Hochiminh.

    #5 Posted: 18/5/2013 - 19:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee