Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Itinerary Critique - Vietnam South to North in 6 days

• camsydt

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2013

Hello all!

I would be more than grateful if you can give information with regard to our itinerary (Is it doable? What should I include and/or delete?):

TRIP ITINERARY!
    May 16
    *Arrival from Manila: 1:00 AM
    *Explore the Chu Chi Tunnels in the AM
    *Explore downtown HCM in the PM
    May 17
    *Travel to Dalat in the day, via bus/van/train
    *Explore Dalat the rest of the day
    May 18
    *Explore Dalat in the AM
    *Travel to Hanoi in the PM, via plane
    *Explore Hanoi in the PM
    May 19
    *Travel to Halong in the AM, via bus/van/train
    *Explore Halong Bay and stay overnight
    May 20
    *Travel back to Hanoi in the AM, via bus/van/train
    *(1) Explore the rest of Hanoi OR (2) Travel to Sapa and stay overnight
    May 21
    *(1) Explore the rest of Hanoi OR (2) Travel back to Hanoi in the PM, via bus/van/train
    *Flight back to Manila: May 22, 1:00AM

I'm thinking of skipping Sapa, as we have that kind of countryside here in the Philippines (I know it's not the same, though. SIGH) and adding Hoi An to the itinerary. Is Dalat worth seeing or is it "skippable?" I don't need to see the beaches as I've been living in an island for the past year; no need to include in the itinerary.

Thank you so so much!

#1 Posted: 3/5/2013 - 06:43

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

6 days 5 locations! Seems to me that you should keep to one area, for example just spend 6 days around HCMC and the Delta OR Fly directly into Da Nang and spend all 6 days checking out Hue-Hoi'an and Da Nang OR just fly to Hanoi and check out Halong Bay with maybe a trip out to Sapa if you have the time.

Or . . . fly into HCMC and spend 2-3 nights there and then fly up to Hanoi for the 2-3 nights in Hanoi with one day in Halong Bay if you really want to see more.

#2 Posted: 3/5/2013 - 07:05

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Good advice from casey.

I hit up 5 locations when I was in Nam but I had almost three weeks. You do not want to be rushing around as much as you are proposing.

You could easily spend six days in Saigon alone, sampling the street food, visiting the war museums and hitting the excellent nightlife.

In any event, cut back on what you are planning. For what it's worth I thought Hanoi was much nicer than Saigon. Hanoi and HB in six days would be reasonable.

#3 Posted: 3/5/2013 - 08:01

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi Camsydt,

I'm afraid I also completely agree with the other posters - unless your main vacation aim is "to see the beautiful buses of Vietnam" you're setting yourself up for a disappointment.

If memory serves, the bus I took from HCMC to Dalat left after breakfast and didn't arrive in Dalat until 3 in the afternoon (traffic is bad, so the trip look about an hour longer than scheduled). By the time we'd gotten from the drop-off point to the guesthouse and checked in, it was close to 4pm - not much time left to explore before dark, so we'd effectively spent almost the entire day in transit. That was fine for me, as I was on a slow schedule (and stayed in Dalat for a further 3 days before I moved on) but I'd hate to spend the day on a bus when I had to move AGAIN on the following day.

I also think Dalat is all right, but not a must-see (I much preferred the Hue/Danang/Hoi An area).

Caseypritch's advice is spot-on: basing the entire trip around one region (HCMC+Mekong Delta, or HoiAn+Hue or Hanoi+Halong Bay) if your main flights aren't booked yet, or spend 2 days in HCMC then fly to Hanoi/Halong Bay if your main flights are booked.

Best of luck whatever you decide, and have a wonderful time!

#4 Posted: 4/5/2013 - 03:54

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Dalat isn't worth it for a day. It has neat evergreen forests and rolling hills but other then that isn't really anything special. Sapa as well isn't worth it for only a peek as it is 9+ hours travel each way.

With so little time I would spend another day in HCMC(1 day isn't enough, Cu Chi tunnels and then War Remnants Museum(they will drop you off here on way back from tunnels) will eat up most of the day let alone seeing anything else in the city. The rest of your itinerary kind of makes sense, 2 days in Hanoi is good as is 1-2 days in Halong Bay which leaves 1 extra day. Since it seems you want to see as much as you can it would make sense to try and see something close to either HCMC or Hanoi. Maybe a day tour of the Mekong Delta? Other options for day tours as well but I didn't go on any of them so not sure.

#5 Posted: 5/5/2013 - 01:26

• sybille47

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2008

there is something else you should consider. It would only take one major delay to throw your whole itinerary out of wack. Rethink seriously, because you are spending a lot of money, but ask yourself what you are really getting out of a trip like that.

#6 Posted: 10/5/2013 - 07:36

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Totally agree with the others - stick to one region, and you will be better suited. Avoid as much road travel as possible as VN roads are bad, and the drivers are really really really BAD!!!!!

(By the by, Sapa is not to be missed)

#7 Posted: 11/5/2013 - 12:19

• camsydt

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2013

Hi all,

Thank you for everyone's input! I've made the necessary adjustments in our itinerary. :)

May I know if visiting the "Cao Dai Temple" will be worth it? We were thinking of going there, coupled with the trip to the Cu Chi Tunnels.

Thank you so much!

#8 Posted: 12/5/2013 - 01:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
10 days in vietnam : North vs South ? Both ? ... By robkius on 2 Jul 2010 1 4135 3 Jul 2010
Dilemma - 11 days in Vietnam (4 lost up North) - Head straight South after? ... By alt on 9 Dec 2011 3 2112 9 Dec 2011
North to south Vietnam itinerary. Thoughts please ... By Brooker6139 on 4 Oct 2012 7 6539 16 Oct 2012
Vietnam north and south itinerary 1 month help please ... By nono on 18 Sep 2014 8 594 27 Sep 2014
1 month in Vietnam South-North Itinerary! Is it any good? ... By Peachula on 10 Jun 2011 3 7173 20 Sep 2011
Critique our itinerary: 26 days in SE Asia ... By pcharrig on 21 Feb 2011 4 3869 21 Aug 2012
Thailand & Siem Reap for 19 Days in July! Critique our itinerary. ... By I3igDmsu on 15 May 2012 5 2046 18 May 2012
If you had 30 days in Laos ..... (North and/or South) ... By dclayw on 17 Sep 2009 10 3654 12 Oct 2009
24 days south-to-north trip in April ... By Rahel on 21 Mar 2011 4 3288 23 Mar 2011
23 Day VN Itinerary - North to South ... By Rubixx on 4 Jul 2011 7 3597 10 Sep 2011