Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

What is the best country to travel if you have a tight budget?

• FidiTrip

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2013

Posted from within Vietnam.

I am living in the USA, looking for a traveling adventure withmy friends. Some of my friends want to know about the budget. We want to go fortravelling little squeezed budget. We would not like to go to Hongkong orChina. So can anybody advise me on this issue?

#1 Posted: 17/5/2013 - 02:19

• Advertisement

• Snookieboi

Click here to learn more about Snookieboi
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

cambodia,laos, or vietnam.

#2 Posted: 17/5/2013 - 02:56

• Want2BHappy

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2013

Off the beaten track in Vietnam, I can get by on $30 a day quite comfortably, including hotel, motorbike, petrol, food, coffee. A bit less per head if two or more in a room.

On the beaten track, that's probably not enough....

#3 Posted: 17/5/2013 - 03:46

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Vietnam definitely.

Street food and local beer (if you like these things) really drive down overall costs.

#4 Posted: 17/5/2013 - 05:18

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Vietnam best choice for cheap food and beer with a lot of variety on what to do . . . but you posted from there . . .

Cambodia is probably going to be a bit cheaper for accommodation . . . but I feel a lot of what there is 'to do' can have exaggerated prices.

Check out: http://www.budgetyourtrip.com/

#5 Posted: 17/5/2013 - 05:43

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Great website, thanks casey.

#6 Posted: 17/5/2013 - 06:35

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Just deleted my own post because I realised I'd mis-read the question (sorry!)

#7 Posted: 17/5/2013 - 12:24

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I agree, any of the Indochinese countries, but you need to hurry since inflation is world wide (the hotel room I paid $20. for in 2008 is now $30.). You save quite a bit by eating off the tourist trail, and eating local food.

Hong Kong is closer to US prices than Indochina (Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia).

#8 Posted: 18/5/2013 - 12:13

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

I thought Vietnam was one of the more expensive of these countries, travel and accommodation in particular. Lot harder to find stuff like the basic fan rooms you can in Cambodia and Laos for $5 or less a night. Cambodia and Laos probably the cheapest to travel in but the food and in some ways the sights aren't quite as good.. You can easily get by on under $30 a day in either Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos or Thailand if you want to, that is what I did and the only thing that was extra was the odd thing like scuba diving or a couple other more expensive tours. If you aren't going for sights and tours etc and just want to relax you could get down to $15-20 a day depending on location but that isn't including travel and sight seeing.

#9 Posted: 18/5/2013 - 13:00

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

If you were actually in the USA, I'd recommend Mexico if you are only travelling for a few weeks. That's because even though Mexico is more expensive than southeast Asia, the R/T airfare from north America to southeast Asia works out to about $100 per day for a two-week trip. You'd need to stay at least a month and probably more to make the airfare worth it - at least if you are a budget traveller.

The two places I recommend in Mexico are Baja California and Yucatan, and would pick one depending on which is closer to where you are in the USA. Yucatan is a bit easier for moving from place to place, and has good beaches, interesting local culture, and the old Mayan stuff as well. Baja has great fish tacos. No joke.

If you are looking for cheap places to travel, I always thought Nepal was one of the least expensive places I've visited - particularly if you are a bit flexible in your standards. Food, accommodation, transport, and gifts were really inexpensive, and it was a fascinating place to visit. Try the yak cheese.

Second choice on the inexpensive meter in my experience is Indonesia. Again, it was good quality for not much money and the variety of stuff to buy as gifts was off-the-chart great. My friends still love the little stuff I brought them from Indonesia.

In terms of value for money, I've always thought that Thailand was best. It isn't the cheapest, but because Thailand has such a good infrastructure, you'll usually get high quality for your money. Popular places like Chiang Mai are still cheap in terms of food and accommodation, and if you visit places like Nong Khai or Khamphaeng Phet or Trat or Mukdahan, you'll get even more for your money still. I tend to travel in the "flashpacker" range in Thailand, spending something like $50 per day. But I spend less in the cities I mentioned above and still live very well. Cheers.

#10 Posted: 18/5/2013 - 16:34

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.