Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

What is the best country to travel if you have a tight budget?

Posted by FidiTrip on 17/5/2013 at 02:19

Posted from within Vietnam.

I am living in the USA, looking for a traveling adventure withmy friends. Some of my friends want to know about the budget. We want to go fortravelling little squeezed budget. We would not like to go to Hongkong orChina. So can anybody advise me on this issue?

#1 FidiTrip has been a member since 10/5/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by Snookieboi on 17/5/2013 at 02:56

cambodia,laos, or vietnam.

#2 Snookieboi has been a member since 14/4/2013. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 61

Posted by Want2BHappy on 17/5/2013 at 03:46

Off the beaten track in Vietnam, I can get by on $30 a day quite comfortably, including hotel, motorbike, petrol, food, coffee. A bit less per head if two or more in a room.

On the beaten track, that's probably not enough....

#3 Want2BHappy has been a member since 23/2/2013. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 61
 Where has Want2BHappy been? 

Posted by chinarocks on 17/5/2013 at 05:18

Vietnam definitely.

Street food and local beer (if you like these things) really drive down overall costs.

#4 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 740

Posted by caseyprich on 17/5/2013 at 05:43

Vietnam best choice for cheap food and beer with a lot of variety on what to do . . . but you posted from there . . .

Cambodia is probably going to be a bit cheaper for accommodation . . . but I feel a lot of what there is 'to do' can have exaggerated prices.

Check out: http://www.budgetyourtrip.com/

#5 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by chinarocks on 17/5/2013 at 06:35

Great website, thanks casey.

#6 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 740

Posted by antoniamitchell on 17/5/2013 at 12:24

Just deleted my own post because I realised I'd mis-read the question (sorry!)

#7 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 459
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter   Pinterest 

Posted by daawgon on 18/5/2013 at 12:13

I agree, any of the Indochinese countries, but you need to hurry since inflation is world wide (the hotel room I paid $20. for in 2008 is now $30.). You save quite a bit by eating off the tourist trail, and eating local food.

Hong Kong is closer to US prices than Indochina (Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia).

#8 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,083

Posted by Geer1 on 18/5/2013 at 13:00

I thought Vietnam was one of the more expensive of these countries, travel and accommodation in particular. Lot harder to find stuff like the basic fan rooms you can in Cambodia and Laos for $5 or less a night. Cambodia and Laos probably the cheapest to travel in but the food and in some ways the sights aren't quite as good.. You can easily get by on under $30 a day in either Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos or Thailand if you want to, that is what I did and the only thing that was extra was the odd thing like scuba diving or a couple other more expensive tours. If you aren't going for sights and tours etc and just want to relax you could get down to $15-20 a day depending on location but that isn't including travel and sight seeing.

#9 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Where has Geer1 been? 

Posted by exacto on 18/5/2013 at 16:34

If you were actually in the USA, I'd recommend Mexico if you are only travelling for a few weeks. That's because even though Mexico is more expensive than southeast Asia, the R/T airfare from north America to southeast Asia works out to about $100 per day for a two-week trip. You'd need to stay at least a month and probably more to make the airfare worth it - at least if you are a budget traveller.

The two places I recommend in Mexico are Baja California and Yucatan, and would pick one depending on which is closer to where you are in the USA. Yucatan is a bit easier for moving from place to place, and has good beaches, interesting local culture, and the old Mayan stuff as well. Baja has great fish tacos. No joke.

If you are looking for cheap places to travel, I always thought Nepal was one of the least expensive places I've visited - particularly if you are a bit flexible in your standards. Food, accommodation, transport, and gifts were really inexpensive, and it was a fascinating place to visit. Try the yak cheese.

Second choice on the inexpensive meter in my experience is Indonesia. Again, it was good quality for not much money and the variety of stuff to buy as gifts was off-the-chart great. My friends still love the little stuff I brought them from Indonesia.

In terms of value for money, I've always thought that Thailand was best. It isn't the cheapest, but because Thailand has such a good infrastructure, you'll usually get high quality for your money. Popular places like Chiang Mai are still cheap in terms of food and accommodation, and if you visit places like Nong Khai or Khamphaeng Phet or Trat or Mukdahan, you'll get even more for your money still. I tend to travel in the "flashpacker" range in Thailand, spending something like $50 per day. But I spend less in the cities I mentioned above and still live very well. Cheers.

#10 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,606
 Where has exacto been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.